What's the stragest homework help you've provided?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

What's the stragest homework help you've provided?

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I was wondering this as I knelt on my kitchen floor at 11pm last night mopping up bits of tea from the floor and turning over 7 different pieces of tea soaked paper containing DS's Beowulf take off trying desperately to get them dry for him by the morning!
Anyone else....
KS10

Re: What's the stragest homework help you've provided?

Post by KS10 »

DS had to make a Torah Scroll for which he (I) was given a level. Had it been art, needlework or DT I wouldn't have helped, but giving a level for creativity in RE is ridiculous imo. There is absolutely no way he could have or would have sewn a mantel.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

DD1 (14, Y9) had a long Food Tech project to do - 4 or 5 months, 12 A3 sides to fill in a prescribed manner. She said all along that she wasn't going to do it at all - okay, fine, up to her, I wasn't getting involved - and then 2 nights before it was due in her nerve broke ... It was a bit of a family project in the end: dd3 (8) designed the packaging, ds (10) made up a questionnaire and lots of graphs showing the results, and I came up with some creative rambling about all the research she'd done to refine her recipe :lol: I think she got a B for it in the end (am sure she got extra credit for being one of the few who actually handed it in on time) but I was a bit miffed not to have got any more detailed feedback :wink:
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

I did an essay for my autistic son once when things got too much for him. He didn't want to hand it in as he's very honest, I forced him too as I didn't want him getting a detention, I won, he handed it in.

When he got it back I thought I'd have a nose to see how I'd done and buried in the middle of my wondrous prose was a little bracketed note to the teacher from my son which read - ('My Mum did this, just put the detention slip in my cubbyhole').

Oh well!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Awwwwwww, bless.
sp

Post by sp »

When DS was in year 7 or 8 he asked for help with his Maths h/work. As this is one of the few subjects I excelled at, I spent ages explaining it to him and eventually "we" had worked through all the questions, but still he didn't seem much clearer. When he came home the next day I asked if he'd told the teacher that I'd helped and he said "No"!! After I gave him the lecture about not cheating, being honest etc he then told me he'd actually told the teacher "My Mum did all my homework and I still don't understand it"!! I have to add that he's now in Year 11 and hoping to do Maths at A level so maybe my help had some benefit after all!!
doodles

Post by doodles »

KS10 wrote:DS had to make a Torah Scroll for which he (I) was given a level. Had it been art, needlework or DT I wouldn't have helped, but giving a level for creativity in RE is ridiculous imo. There is absolutely no way he could have or would have sewn a mantel.
Well KS, we went to parent's evening at DS's previous school and the RE teacher provided his results in the form of a pie-chart :shock: Took DH and I a while to work that one out.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

:lol:
asdgst and sp.

Now I recall we all enjoyed helping DS to make his snowman version of Murder in the Cathedral too, complete with ketchup!
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

ourmaminhavana wrote:I was wondering this as I knelt on my kitchen floor at 11pm last night mopping up bits of tea from the floor and turning over 7 different pieces of tea soaked paper containing DS's Beowulf take off trying desperately to get them dry for him by the morning!
Anyone else....
I put our tea soaked paper in the oven, it dries in minutes. Just don't overdo it though. :)
Clare

Post by Clare »

My son had to make an African shield in year 3. We were given very strict instructions on how it had to be made.

Had to use MDF and think we were asked to use a jigsaw too.

I didn't have a clue how to do it let alone him!

Ended up asking some builders that were working on the house if they could help out!

Have been known to do colouring homework for them!