differnce between KS2 SATS and 11+

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TP

differnce between KS2 SATS and 11+

Post by TP »

hi,

i'd be gratefull if someone could highlight what the differences

i realise one is for mandatory tests taken at primary school and the other to gain a place at a grammer

the main question is what material is covered for maths/english .... is it the same ?

if, as a parent you want your child to pass the 11+ .... should you purely concentrate on 11+ material ... or is their some overlap ?

thanks

tp
mitasol

Re: differnce between KS2 SATS and 11+

Post by mitasol »

You need to find out what is being tested at the schools you are interested in. If they included English and Maths then there is likely to be an overlap. However it's worth bearing in mind the tests are usually taken at the beginning of year 6 and your school may not yet have covered all the KS2 curriculum. So don't assume no work will be required in English and Maths.

Most 11+ will test VR and possibly NVR. These areas will not have been covered in school.

When working out how much to do in each subject, it's best to evaluate how the different papers are weighted and if DC has any weaknesses.

If you post in your area and include the schools you are interested in, you may get a better response.
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

Don't be confused by the over complication that goes on on this site - that is about selling past papers many of which have many many mistakes.

IME if your child is at or expected to be at the level 5 (midpoint to high) level at Year 6 in English and Maths that's good enough to get into most independent schools. Other things come into play as well - is your child reasonably well adjusted and not freaked out through over tutoring.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It is my understanding that the OP is enquiring about state, rather than independent, schools Ealingmum.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

ealingmum wrote:Don't be confused by the over complication that goes on on this site - that is about selling past papers many of which have many many mistakes.
I did not find the site complicated, and did not feel that it was selling past papers to me.

Are there any sample papers for the schools that you are considering?

Is the school a super selective or does it have a catchment?

How much time do you have? Must you concentrate purely on the 11+ syllabus or can you do other work as well? Many of the independent schools have sample papers available on their websites, but the difficulty levels vary greatly.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. There is a lot of useful information available on the website.
flicka

Post by flicka »

After extensive research on the net, downloading past SATS papers, past 11+ papers and past independent entrance papers at age 11, I have come to the following conclusion.
SATS are not worth the paper they are printed on, kids only having to scrape through with not even half marks to get the government required level 4.
The 11+ and most independent exam papers seem to be set at Level 5 to 6, therefore, if your DC is at state school, the level 6 work will not have been touched, the teacher's attention being focused on those children in the class they think they can pull up from a level 3 to a low level 4 to boost the statistics for the school.
The Level 6 extension papers were done away with years ago supposedly because not enough children could do them - wonder why? Do the words "not being taught to that level" strike a chord? Surely the whole idea of an extension paper is for the few very bright to do, not the masses.
Oh, I forgot we all have to pass nowadays - national mediocrity is the norm. Hooray.
So, I would say that if you want your child to pass an 11+ or an independent school entrance exam - get a tutor, teach him yourself, or resign yourself to him only passing in a fluke. Because his school teachers won't be helping him.