How much revision for Year 7 exams?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

How much revision for Year 7 exams?

Post by ourmaminhavana »

DS has his summer exams starting on 7th May. I have my own idea, but would be interested to know how much revision anyone else's DC are doing?
Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katel

Re: How much revision for Year 7 exams?

Post by katel »

Very little. If he's been on top of homework and keeping up in class he should take them in his stride.

Read over anything he's unsure of, but that's it.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

I would say the same really. Check with your DC that they understand the topics in each subject, if they did understand in class a read over should be fine. My dd had a really blank with one topic in maths so i will go throught that in more detail with her.

Does anyone know if the year 7 tests are old sats papers or are put together by the indivudual schools?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

katel wrote:Very little. If he's been on top of homework and keeping up in class he should take them in his stride.

Read over anything he's unsure of, but that's it.
I think it depends on the subject. I used to teach French and certain things had to be memorised. Those who hadn't spent some time revising failed. I can't comment too much on other subjects as things have changed so much since I was at school, but when I was that age I did revise.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS did 2 hours a day quite happily with no nagging from us for his Y7 and Y8 exams. It paid dividends.
School gave them a detailed revision guide as to what would be examined for each subject which was a great help.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

zorro wrote:My DS did 2 hours a day quite happily with no nagging from us for his Y7 and Y8 exams. It paid dividends.
Was this even on school days? or do you mean in the hols?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Not during term time! I'm not that cruel! :lol: :lol: They have their exams immediately after Christmas hols , so have 3 weeks to revise and in June when they have the half term week to revise.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

:lol: thought it was a bit much :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds1 did revision for end of year exams in Yrs 4,5 & 6 and it certainly helped him. He probably did 1 hour a night in Yr 4 building up to about 2 hours in Yr 6. Teachers gave detailed revision guidance sheets. He will certainly be revising for his Yr 7 exams this year.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think year 7 is too early to be doing much revision. If your child has a problem in a particular area, then fine . But for the other subjects?

The thing is they are children for such a little time, let them have some fun while they still can. Public exams start in y10 nowadays, and they have many years of revising ahead of them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now