Waiting Lists

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
churchill

Waiting Lists

Post by churchill »

Can anyone tell me if there is likely to be much more movement now on the waiting lists? I would guess that after the first one - which has just been - that there is now little chance of more places coming up. I do hope I'm wrong! Anyone got any knowledge of this??

Thanks.
jingle

Re: Waiting Lists

Post by jingle »

I also think that there is not likely to be much movement unless, say someone who got BC wins appeal for SLGS and gives up their place. Are you in either Whitstable or H Bay? These are notorious 'black spots'
If so, then I would suspect you may have been offered Clarendon House. I know someone who got into BC on appeal last year because they missed out on distance so it is worth appealing. Also, do you know where you are on the waiting list(S)?
churchill

Post by churchill »

Yes in Biggest Black Spot - Beltinge!!! and yes got Chatham/Clarendon.
Appealing to both BCGS and SLGGS. Currently 2nd on BC waiting list and 6th on SLGGS waiting list. I do understand that we can get bumped down the waiting list, but still hopeful to maybe get a waiting list place for BC. Will accept it if we do but will still appeal for SLGGS as that was 1st choice, (BC was 2nd choice).
jingle

Post by jingle »

We are very unlucky in our area with regard to the GS. Only got into BC last year due to sibling link. We would have got H Bay High otherwise as plenty of others did.
Good luck with waiting lists or appeals. SL is a fantastic school but we had no chance of getting into the boys.
To be totally honest, we have become rather unsure of our choice of BC since it has started to undergo some big changes when a new HT arrived. Very long story, but had we known what was planned when we chose it e.g re introducing A levels thus reducing commitment to the IB and restructuring of the school day, we may well have tried for elsewhere. Ds doing well but not loving it like his sibling used to. I think the atmosphere has changed and morale seems a bit low at the moment.

Wishing you well with it all anyway, and hoping you get a great school for your dd

J
churchill

Post by churchill »

Yes, I am aware of changes in BC. Didn't realise that morale was low, but I guess that tends to happen with changes. I did hear that several teachers have left (or been booted out) as didn't agree with HT/Changes.
Due to distance, BC is far better for us than Ramsgate.
Up here in Beltinge, most of the non-selective got CCW. Lots of appeals going to happen there as they DID want H/Bay High, but it didn't come out this far this year, feel so sorry for them as none of them put it on their SCAF.
Herne Bay could certainly do with another school in the area, as H/Bay High has 1800 pupils and is massive as it is.

Thanks for your kind comments and I wish your ds every success and hope the changes aren't too unsettling!
dani*

Post by dani* »

There still seem to be a lot of people out there who are holding places on both Indies and GS'S. At some point they will need to make up their mind. Good Luck. Hope you are getting your choice in the end.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes, fingers crossed for you Churchill. :)
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I have replied to this on the appeals thread.

SO many kids got the Ramsgate Grammars from Whistable/Herne Bay area that I cannot understand why they won`t run a school bus. They are talking of reducing the number of buses from the area into Canterbury now its out of catchment....it makes sense.

Like I said before, I know of very little movement on the waiting lists as most people accept the Grammar places and are happy as they are both good. Hopefully someone will be appealing to SLGGS or SLBGS and give up the BCGS place.

The SLGGS appeals are usually in Mid July....or at least they were last year and the year before....and the BCGS were even later.

But good luck.....
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Jingle....are you thinking that Chatham / Clarendon may be a better option that BCGS for future applicants?

Just interested.....
jingle

Post by jingle »

I do believe it would probably have been a better option for us. No chance for SLBS on distance, and he was determined to follow dd to BC as she was so happy at the time. As it stands she can't wait to leave and go elsewhere asap for year 12. A real shame as we have been really pleased up till now. Just my opinion though. Not sure I should moan too much on here.
J