why oh why?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zed_1978

why oh why?

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all!

I am trying to sort out some 11 plus work for my son to do and i was wondering why is it so difficult to motivate him?!?!?

Regards

Post by Guest »

Depending on where you live in B'ham, drive him to the potential local comprehensive school that he'll be at next year and say that this is the future, OR drive him to the KEGS of your choice and show him what he could have if he puts the hours in. I did that with my son and he passed and is going to KEFW in Sept.

If your local comprehensive school is good and scores above 60% than you have a fall back plan, however, if the school is rough with a bad rep, than you need to explain that to him. Discusss the future potentials of what he can be achieve with hard work, and give him encouragement.

One thing to bear in mind, the places at KEGS are very Very very competitve, and there are many children who take part in the tests. The stress is great on the parents, but don't transfer these pressures on the boy or he fold up.

The hard work does pay dividends, and if you get in its great, and if don't, well no one can blame you for trying.

On the point of motivation, deivse a time table, for study and for play and try and stick to it. You will need the support of your partnet to be successful, no point of being at work knowing that your son is watching TV when he should be studying, and your partner isn't helping you.

Hope this helps.
jah

Post by jah »

I agree that you have to show them the schools before they put in the work. Problem was my daughter preferred the idea of local comp rather than following Bid Sis to KE.....
zed_1978

Timetable?!?

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all!

Guest, i have sat and talked to my son about the difference in education between local comp and KEG and how it would be better for him. He says he wants to go to Grammar school, but i think he says this for my benefit (After confronted he said he wanted to go to Grammar school as he would get a better education)...i know it might be human nature but whatever topic he struggles on he does'nt make the effort to get better at it and instead he sulks. So it seems like he is just not bothered about the whole thing...all i seem to do is nag and stess...I am not very good at timetable as i am not very organised...where do i start? Is there any chance you can give me an example of a typical day?!?!?

For instance, this morning i wrote hima list of work i wanted him to complete which included Maths, English, VR and Spellings. It seemed like all he was doing was work all day and he got fed up whilst complete English. So then i told him to call it a day and then we went to the park. Maybe i am setting him too much work, or the wrong sort of work?

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
usa

Post by usa »

hallo Zed1978.
I certainly think a timetable is a good idea - it did help me a lot, just as a rough guide to stick to. Give us an indication of the exams he will have to sit (ie. is it Maths English and VR?) and I/we can advise you what books to buy (from this site if you like), which will start you off. Also is it m/c or standard? Sorry - I do not know much about the Birmingham exams at all.
You have plenty of time, so do not worry. Little and often is a good idea - I think maybe you were a bit keen today!!!
Get back to us anyway
USA

Post by Guest »

this morning i wrote hima list of work i wanted him to complete which included Maths, English, VR and Spellings. It seemed like all he was doing was work all day and he got fed up whilst complete English..
sounds like too much to me since it is only early april. I would go with the timetable idea. Perhaps you need to draw up a long term plan for yorself to give you an idea of how you are going to structure things. Then give a list of things to be covered that week to your son and suggest he covers 1-2 areas per day. If he wants to do more one day and less the next because he wants to go to the park then thats fine. That allows him to feel like he has some control over the process. This has worked for me so far but I do appreciate it may not work for your son. good luck
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all,

Thank you for your replies.

I agree with you guys, i should produce a timetable but where do i start? I have got alot of resources for him but i am abit stuck on how to schedule them in, what to cover......as i said i am not good at this planning and organising lark(I do want to be)..HELP (you see i am getting all worked up now)... :( :oops: :lol: :x :P
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

I had a lot of problems with my eldest child - didn't want to do any extra work, etc. I think this was particularly as my younger daughter would be able to play, etc, whilst she was working and she felt a bit resentful. Are you sitting with him whilst he works? I think the worst thing for a lot of children is having to sit alone and work whilst other members of the family are doing what they want to do. If he can see that you are having to put yourself out as well, may be he won't feel so bad?

We did it in the evening and just sat for around an hour 2 or 3 times a week and worked through some papers together. We both ended up enjoying it, although I think the older child was very glad to stop at the end (my younger one is just crazy and would be doing nvr and vr now if I suggested it). I always reinforced the idea that she was working for herself and not for me - I have been to grammar school and university, etc, so it is no skin off my nose, and I think she began to see this in the end.

Good luck to you, I know how hard it can be.

Post by Guest »

Hello Zed, to my origanal post regarding a time table. I broke the day into morning, afternoon and evening.

For example, as you know, you can not expect a child to slog for 24hours, so here's how it worked for me.

Day Mor Afternoon Eve

Monday Maths VR playtime
Tues Eng Reading Playtime
Wed Reading Playtime NVR

And so on.... The day has to include playtime/fun elements. During school days, devise a plan for the evening into two parts, early and late. Getting your son to read and do words on a regular basis is a way of learning and improving as well.

By the way, what year is he in, I assume year 5, and what sort grades does he get. If he is in the top 5, sounds good. Speak to his teacher to see if he improve in areas that worry you.....

Thanks
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya,
Thank you Guest and KEMum for your valuable advice.

Guest, my son has not been achieving 5's in year 5. However, i feel this was more due to the previous teacher he had this year. I know this may be biased but i feel he is capable of achieving 4/5's this year but has'nt due to previous teaching methods.

At the moment i am getting him to go through the Bond books, he has not done any NFER papers. Do you think this is sufficient? Any further advice would be appreciated.

Also i printed the list of words from this site, what is the best way for him to learn these words? I have purchased the First Aid in English book, i was going through it the other night and i was wondering what would be the best way of completing the exercises e.g. read the relevant information and then answer questions with/without referring back to the section just read? The book seems abit complicated (or i am stupid...lol)

Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Zed
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now