SHS oversubscription appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crazybutsmiling

SHS oversubscription appeal

Post by crazybutsmiling »

I guess it's to the appeals we go! I am currently putting an oversubscription appeal together, but stuck on the part where I mention they've gone over PAN before. I seem to have read on this form they tend to go over by 8, does anyone know how many years they've done this, or will the school tell me this? Also how do I put this in my letter, not sure how to write "you have accepted '8' students over PAN the last (however many ) years". Anyone with experience on this? I would be very grateful, as I am sitting here wandering where to start!
capers123

Re: SHS oversubscription appeal

Post by capers123 »

crazybutsmiling wrote:Also how do I put this in my letter, not sure how to write "you have accepted '8' students over PAN the last (however many ) years". Anyone with experience on this? I would be very grateful, as I am sitting here wandering where to start!
The school did not accept 8 students over PAN - they were forced to take them by the appeals panel!

As to actual numbers, what you could 'phone Mrs Blacklock at SHS and just ask the numbers starting in September for the last 5 years. Note that this may (will) not be 128, as some children will have moved home, gone private, won an appeal for another school...

I would write something along the lines of "The intake each year has been well over 120, yet the academic results for the school have been improving, and the latest Ofsted report recatagorised the school from Good to Outstanding. Therefore it should be possible for the school to take more than 120 pupils again this year without prejuding the education of those already admitted".

You can ask the school side at the appeal for the actual numbers - the panel will probably already know them (unless you happen to be the first appeal), but technically need to be told it for each appeal; if you forget, they'll probably ask anyway.
Capers
crazybutsmiling

Thank you so much Capers that's exactly what I needed, wanted to put in a way that is respectful. Now I can get started. :)
crazybutsmiling

Sorry another question! Reading the appeals forum, there is talk of proximity of school to home, makes a difference too. This was written by someone in Kent I think, however does it have any consideration in Glos, particularly SHS.
I understand having a sibling strengthens your case, so if you live closer to school than another child would that have any advantage. Just asking cause SHS is probably closer to us than any other secondary school, including comps. (Just trying to calm my nerves and hold on to what little sanity I have) :lol:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

crazybutsmiling wrote:Sorry another question! Reading the appeals forum, there is talk of proximity of school to home, makes a difference too. This was written by someone in Kent I think, however does it have any consideration in Glos, particularly SHS.
I understand having a sibling strengthens your case, so if you live closer to school than another child would that have any advantage. Just asking cause SHS is probably closer to us than any other secondary school, including comps. (Just trying to calm my nerves and hold on to what little sanity I have) :lol:
SHS doesn't have a catchment area, unlike the Kent schools. That said, an appeal from Stroud District may be looked on more slightly favourably than one from Reading or Bristol (where the parents were not planning to move home) - all things being equal (which is rare in an appeal).

Distance from school is used when working out the waiting list position, as are siblings at school, but this is not used in an appeal. I've known siblings dragged physically into an appeal (in uniform) by the desparate parents, & getting them to state how well they though their younger sibling would fit in to the school. I've even known people to say that the parents, aunts/uncles went to the school as well. Sibling would only strengthen the case against an equall appeal without a sibling - so two children, both with the same mitigating circumstances - which is so unlikely.

Also, if you're within walking distance of SHS, the same applies for Archway (which despite the Ofsted is thought of by many as a pretty good school).

All that said, panels can (and do) take anything into account that they like, and give it different weight.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now