Appeal Query

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Out-of-area

Appeal Query

Post by Out-of-area »

I note in the Dfes School Admission Appeals Code, section 3.7 that "the admission authority concerned may submit, as part of its evidence to the panel, that the child in question has been allocated a place at an alternative school. ... Equally it is open to the parent to state any reasons why an alternative school would be less suitable."

I had always understood that appeals were based on reasons FOR the school in question not reasons AGAINST any other school that might have been offered. Does anyone know if it depends on the local authority in question?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes it does depend on the admission authority policy (the school if it is a Foundation or Voluntary Aided School). However, the Panel may not take the alternative school into account in their decision, if neither parent nor admission authority proffers it.
mother

Post by mother »

That's interesting Peter. Do you think if appealing to a Foundation School running their own appeal that it's best not to mention it. It would rather throw us, because apart from the academics, our case is based on a 45 mile distance between our two children if we were to accept the grammar the LEA have allocated (not one of our choices, I hasten to add!!)
Out-of-area

Appeal Query

Post by Out-of-area »

Thank you for your reply Peter. I wish we had now mentioned why the school we have been offered would not be as suitable as the one we are appealing for, as it seems that if we mention this aspect of our case, the Panel have to take it into consideration- not what I had originally understood at all.

Can we mention the reasons for the unsuitability of the school we have been offered in our oral presentation even though they were not mentioned in our written appeal which has already been submitted?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Whilst the Panel have to take account of it, in my experience of appeals I have little evidence that having taken account of it, panels considered it relevant. It is certainly not relevant on an assessment appeal.
mother

appeal

Post by mother »

GOT IT!!! Received our letter this morning and DD is in. This was much scarier than 2nd March. Just thought we would let everyone know as both hubby and I have cried with you (good news and bad) and have certainly laughed a lot with you. Thanks to everyone - particularly Etienne who has put us back on the path more than once! For everyone else out there still waiting - we wish you all the best of luck. There is hope out there though - yesterday we were drafting our letter to the ombudsman and today we burnt it! Thanks again all.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so pleased for you Well Done..

Enjoy this feeling!

AM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Wonderful news mother - ENJOY!!
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Congratulations Mother - to you and your daughter.
mother

Post by mother »

thanks Tired Mum - are you still waiting? When do you hear? Best wishes to you and yours.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now