South Warwickshire Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigelevans

South Warwickshire Grammar Schools

Post by nigelevans »

Hi
Does anyone know anything about the tests used by the Grammar Schools in South Warwickshire (Stratford upon Avon).
I know the test involves 2 VR papers and a 30 minute essay. But I do not know anything else.
Any information about the exam or entrance criteria for these schools would be very gratefully received.
Also any info regarding tutors in the South Warks area would also be useful.
Thanks
Nigel

Re: South Warwickshire Grammar Schools

Post by Guest »

My son sat the south warwickshire 11+ in October 2005 we do not get the results until beginning of March, like yourself I knew nothing about the exams, I think that they are from Moray house if that helps at all.
You are right though i does consist of 2 verbal reasoning tests each 45mins long and then an essay 30 mins.
They have an extra day also before the exams where they attend a practice paper and go through the answers to help them out.
My son seemed to find the test reasonably easy and got 96 out 100 in the practice.

But we now have to wait till March to find out which school he will go to.

Hope this helps you.
Michelle

Post by Guest »

My daughter goes to Alcester Grammar - you will find that a lot of children cluster around one point in the tests - they only use the essay if they have too many children scoring the same mark and they can't differentiate. I rang up and asked where she had come compared to others and they said she had come top! I was ecstatic, until they told me that about 40 children all share the same score!! I had to laugh - and I thought she was brilliant.

Michelle - my daughter also found the test quite easy compared to some of the practise papers that we had done at home. 96% is an excellent mark - hope she is successful.

Post by Guest »

Morning

When you say you rang up, do you mean the LEA as last time I tried to call them they said that I had to wait till March to find out his results.
Are they now giving verbal results or was this for last year ?

Thanks Michelle

Post by Guest »

My daughter is in Year 9, so now it was in 2003 (ish), I can't remember when she started now! Yes, my husband rang the LEA and they told him that she came top in the exam. Children at the school who got in went and told all their friends that they came top in the county and my daughter came home and said - how can that be. So he rang back and they told him that 40+ others also came top! This was a few years ago - they don't give you the mark, only the position. Hope this helps.

This was after we found out she was going to the school.

Post by Guest »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I see what you mean now, I know I have rung them and they wont tell me anything apart from they will post the name of the school my son has been selected for in March.

Its very frustrating that you have to wait that long to find out, but thats the system I suppose.

So fingers crossed here.

Thanks

Michelle
dawn_harris

tutor

Post by dawn_harris »

Hi Nigel

You raised the same query I am attempting to establish. Did you manage to find a tutor? If so, would you be so kind as to forward the details to me also.
Jeff

HELP! Tutors for Verbal Reasoning in Warwickshire

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good tutor for verbal reasoning to help with the 11+ South Warwickshire exams?

Many thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jeff

It is against Forum rules to post details of tutors on the main Forum. You will need to register (no nasty stuff as a result, we promise) at the bottom of the page and then someone can PM you with a recommendation if they have one.

I also suggest that you post on the Warks Forum, further down the Forum front page.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now