School shorts -tall 11 year old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

School shorts -tall 11 year old

Post by pheasantchick »

I need some more school shorts for my tall 11 year old, and can't find any to fit in this shops. Many shops don't stock large sizes, and the 11-12 sizes do not fit. He's not a giant - tall but no taller than other tall 11 year old, and yet I can't find any suitable shorts.
sherry_d

Re: School shorts -tall 11 year old

Post by sherry_d »

Have you tried this http://www.simmonds-ltd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in t/wells?

They are better stocked than our neck of woods uniform shops.
Impossible is Nothing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My boys wear the combat style shorts from Next...DS2 is tallish and they come to just above the knee.DS1 is moaing about wearing shorts...but I shall be hiding his trousers !
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Last year I managed to find age 13 shorts in M&S for my Ds when he was 10. Might be worth looking on line there.

This year he's 11 and I persuaded a friend to cut the legs off his Next age 14 school combat trousers and hem them as knee length shorts. ( As I am completely rubbish with sewing !). They look fine and he's happy. I honestly don't think the sizings go beyond this. It really annoyed me that Next only go up to age 10 in their school shorts because they were perfect. Though I do appreciate my son is taller than average ( now 5ft 5 ) but surely someone should cater for longer legs! My son has always been 3 sizes above his age and sadly we are about to hit xs or s in mens sizes, which is going to prove more expensive!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master Yoyo's school shorts were always cut off school trousers, he went through the knees at an alarming rate.

Have you tried an old fashioned 'outfitters'?
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

John Lewis?
katel

Post by katel »

Does he want to wear shorts at all? In my experience, once boys hit about 10 they would rather wear trousers all year round.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, My eldest son wasn't too keen on wearing shorts but he actually thinks the longer ones are ok.....and his skinny white legs need a bit of sunshine so that's that ! My 9 yr old son would wear shorts all year round if he could ....but he's always been a shorts and wellies type of boy...perhaps Pheasantchicks son is too. :)
logic32

Post by logic32 »

At least 80% of the boys at my DS's school still want to wear shorts in yr 6. It's the girls who will no longer wear summer dresses and move on to cullottes or long shorts instead.

Personally I love the fact they still get those knobbly knees out, they will no doubt be on a steep learning curve next year at secondary school and everything will be 'uncool'. I doubt I'll see his legs again until he's 18 !!!
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

Have you tried
http://www.schooluniformshop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are a little more expensive than supermarkets and M&S but tend to have a greater range of sizes. The same problem was discussed last year and I think I got this link from doodles. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now