job

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hetal27

job

Post by hetal27 »

How should I act on the first day of my job somehow I cant build confidence and English is my 2nd language I am worried I will make to many mistakes- this will be my first job .......... so any advice.
Ps does any know any website or any references that can help boost my communicate skills ...
THANKS for your help :) :D
hermanmunster

Re: JOB

Post by hermanmunster »

what sort of place will you be working?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Remember that they must have seen something positive in you to offer you a job in the first place!
My advice would be to listen carefully when they explain how they want you to do things. Don't be afraid to ask questions or write things down to assist your learning. I don't know what the job is but I doubt they will.expect you to be perfect immediately. We all make mistakes.
On your first day? Act pleased to be there, friendly and willing to learn.
Good luck! Expect it to take a while for you to feel comfortable there; it takes time - especially if you are joining a team.
succeed

Post by succeed »

I agree that they must have saw something positive in you in the first place,so use that as the initial basis of confidence.Generally, smiling (appropriately!) alot goes down well. Good luck :D
hetal27

Re: job

Post by hetal27 »

I will be working as a nursery nurse in day care
:D :) :wink: 8)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

good luck Hetal, as the others have said you wouldn;t have been given the job if they didn;t think you would be able to do it.

Hope you enjoy it. I teach reception class sometimes and I love it in there..tiring but fun!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ask if you don't know something - volunteer to help staff and make friends with the kids...
hetal27

Post by hetal27 »

Thanks for your help guys but my main concern is my communication skills does any one know any helpful websites to do with English and communication or maybe anything to do with British accent. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't think you need to worry, Hetal, your english seems good at least when written down and we all respond appropriately to your posts, don't we, so your communication must be good ! The children I'm sure will understand you, they take a lot of cues from non verbal communication and will like you if you are kind and fun to be around.As regards to the staff, as others have said let it be known you are willing and interested and I find friendly chat and asking ( not too intense ) questions about them as people often makes people warm to you.

It is hard starting a new job and it does take a while to become fully integrated.I'm sure your english will improve though just through working and talking to different people. Best Wishes, Hetal ! :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

One area it might be worth brushing up on ( :oops: you might of course already be an expert, apols if you are) ... would be nursery rhymes - DC seemed to do regular renditions of "the wheels on the bus"..