Are all the places given out for Indie schools yet?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ofsoundmind

Are all the places given out for Indie schools yet?

Post by ofsoundmind »

Hi,
Please forgive me as I'm new this year and still trying to find out how all the systems work.
Are all the places at Indie schools allocated yet or, if not, when do all the children waiting for news on places find out if they have been accepted and scholorships etc..
I'm looking at the Glos area mainly, but any feedback would be great.
surreymum

Re: Are all the places given out for Indie schools yet?

Post by surreymum »

It depends a little which type of independent school you are looking at. Those which take via common entrance at 13+ will be about to sit their exams including the scholarship exams, however you would expect to already be on a waiting list for these schools and possibly sat a pretest.

The schools which take at 11+ will have had their entrance exams and allocated places, scholarships and bursaries. However this does not mean that all the schools will necessarily be full and there may be schools who are able to take an additional child, although I think it is unlikely scholarships would be available now. Hopefully someone with some local knowledge will be along to help you.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks surreymum,

We are on a waiting list for a gs and was just wondering if there may be any movement with children waiting to hear about scholarships or other reasons for indie schools. I wasn't sure if they had appeals or such like the grammars???
Many thanks.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

If Gloucester is like Surrey there will probably be some people holding on to grammar school places whilst fulling intending to send their child to an independent school. They lose nothing by doing so and keep their options open a bit longer. Pretty harsh on the state schools and those on the waiting list.....
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks.
You're right, it does seem harsh.
Even if these places are given up at a later date, I suppose we will have to wait til school goes back down to pan if children are accepted on appeal?
Aarrgghh! Sanity out the window again!!
joop

Post by joop »

We are the opposite. We have accepted a place at an indie but hoping to get the Gs place from the waiting list or appeal. Our ds does not want to go to the indie, although mainly because he wouldn't get home until 6. So I guess there could still be movement both ways in the next month or so.
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Yes, it does make it a really long day getting home that late, with a really early start too I expect!
I hope you get what you want. Good luck.