Feeding Children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Feeding Children

Post by doodles »

Just wondering how much other people's DCs eat. Mine seem to be permanently hungry, is it just their ages?

Take tonight for instance, DS1 (12yo) was home when I bought DS2 (8yo) home from swimming. By 6pm DS1 had eaten a whole thin and crispy margharita pizza and salad and DS2 had eaten about 3/4 with salad. Later they had strawberries and meringue with ice cream - this is a real treat we are usually strictly a yoghurt and fruit family but the meringues came with the strawberries as part of a bank hol offer iykwim. They then had an apple each and have just gone to bed and want toast because they are hungry. I've said no but feel really mean.

Do other people's DCs eat masses? I'm not sure I can afford to keep mine I may have to send them back :lol:
stevew61

Re: Feeding Children

Post by stevew61 »

doodles wrote:Just wondering how much other people's DCs eat. Mine seem to be permanently hungry, is it just their ages?

Take tonight for instance, DS1 (12yo) was home when I bought DS2 (8yo) home from swimming.
That looks like typical growing pangs and post exercise munchies. :lol:

It's not the quantity I mind but the inconvenience, toast and sandwiches after bed time,

this is not a hotel!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Yes, especially my year 6 Ds. He could easily eat as much, if not more, then me. He can also be greedy at times, often literally scraping the plate clean.

I. 'm not sure about returning them where they came from-it was painful enough getting them out. :|
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, same problem here with my boys and as Steve says I don't mind doling out the food...it's just annoying when they announce they're still hungry as they're getting into bed ..then DD will start crying and say she's starving too....because she refuses to eat a proper meal and then once I've sorted out that lot , I find DH munching his way through the fridge ...aaargggh !
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Mine ate 7 apples between the 2 of them in the time it took me to have a cup of tea when we got home from tap class! They then each had two veg. hotdogs - a bowl of salad between the two with couple of extra hole carrots on the side - most of a bunch of grapes, a creme egg and a squeezey yoghurt each and, after music practice, milk and nutrigrain bar. However - all through the long weekend they ate practically nothing - and they still have a biscuit box each full of uneaten Easter chocolate. Suspect I may have a pair of pythons rather than children - they seem to only need to eat a couple of times a week but when they do they eat masses.

No way would I make toast after bedtime though - I have important things to do like watch Great British Menu (ok, so I may feed my kids hotdogs but I like to know what real food looks like :) ) - or check out my favourite fora online.
sp

Post by sp »

DS (year 11) can eat continually if I let him. He eats a huge plate of meat, carbs and veggies then within 30 mins is making himself some toast. Normal for an active GCSE-revising (?) boy I think.
He used to try the hunger pangs as bed time was called but I soon got wise to it and started giving a "last chance for food" call maybe an hour before bed time. Then you find out if it's hunger or just an excuse to stay up.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son is like a lion, one huge meal a day
My daughter lives on toast when revising.
Clare

Post by Clare »

I wouldn't feed them just before bed myself.

Otherwise it may be used on a regular basis as a delaying tactic for going to bed.

So don't feel guilty :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mine have two breaks - at 11.30 ish and 1.40 so they often eat lunch at 11.30. This means that they are starving at 4pm and demanding theior tea NOW! I don't mind too much on the days I'm working from home, but sometimes I have just walked in in front of them. Of course they are then starving later on...

DC3 likes to announce that he is hungry at bedtime (part delaying tactic, I think), so we announce 30 minutes before bedtime that it is last orders and they usually have a yoghurt or some fruit or maybe a bowl of cereal.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

Please will someone come on this thread and say their children hate salad and yoghurt but love biscuits and cakes? :oops:
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now