Are swimming lessons compulsory in KS2?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tense

Are swimming lessons compulsory in KS2?

Post by tense »

Hello all,

My DS is in Yr 6 and, although my DD had swimming lessons when at the same primary, there's no sign of them for my son's year. I'm guessing it's too late to arrange now (although it shouldn't be - the pool is actually only about a mile from the school & parents did the driving).

It made me wonder if swimming is part of KS2 anymore? A quick google search suggests it is, but also points out how low the take up of lessons is.

(My DS can swim but this seems to me a fun aspect of learning he is missing out on!).
scarlett

Re: Are swimming lessons compulsory in KS2?

Post by scarlett »

A google search does suggest it is compulsory and states that there are certain skills they have to learn ( aside from the doggy paddle ) such as survival skills and floating challenges :shock: .My DS who is in yr 6 is starting swimming lessons next week for a 10 week period which I'm surprised and pleased to find is free...I know transport is expensive. DH is helping and as he is Bear Grylls Mark 2 he will be pleased to hear about the survival challenges ! The last time DS1 school went was when he was in reception so I was also wondering if they would happen before he leaves ! His brother in yr 4 is also going as some of yr 4, 5 and 6 are in one class at his school.A few years ago there were only about 45 children in the school and my friend who is the swimming instructor said they would dread our school arriving because it would literally be most of the school who turned up , ranging between little ones with their arm bands on and huge older ones diving off the side !
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I thought it was compulsary too. DD did swimming for a year in Year 3 (or Year 4) and they went by coach weekly to the leisure centre. The schools asked for a contribution of £3 weekly.
Impossible is Nothing.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I thought it was compulsory that they had to be able to swim 25m by the time they left primary school. My DCs have all done swimming at primary school, although it has got less as the years have gone by - DC1 did it years 3-6, DC2 years 4-6 and DC3 years 3&4.

You could always ask the school :). Tbh I'm not sure mine ever got much out of it - too many in the pool all at once etc etc, but I suppose it does give an opportunity for those that would never go otherwise.
scary mum
la boume

Post by la boume »

Seems like every school doing it differently. In my kids state primary swimming is done for one term only during year 4. the aim is 25 metres backstroke and frontcrawl. I think those who haven't met the target can have additional lessons. some schools nearby have their own swimming pools, the children are doing more swimming obviously.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In my school, they went every week in year 3.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Our school takes all for a term in year 3. Those that can't swim 25m at the end of this go again the next year, and in theory each year until they can swim the 25m. Having to go with the younger children the next year round seems to act as a good incentive to learn fast and I have yet to hear of a year 5 going!
Having said that we are in an area with alot of good swimming schools so most children are able to swim far further than that by that age, and so very few go in year 4.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Minesatea wrote:Our school takes all for a term in year 3. Those that can't swim 25m at the end of this go again the next year, and in theory each year until they can swim the 25m. Having to go with the younger children the next year round seems to act as a good incentive to learn fast and I have yet to hear of a year 5 going!
Having said that we are in an area with alot of good swimming schools so most children are able to swim far further than that by that age, and so very few go in year 4.
No way would I let them do that to my child! :evil: :twisted:
They're not allowed to stick a child in year 1 literacy until they can read a certain level of book so, why on earth should they be allowed to treat swimming any differently?
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

At my DD and Ds's primary all years will do 2 swimming sessions a week for the Summer Term.

Is pretty much the same for DS in Yr7 also.

Edited to say:Why is it that we need to hand in a letter giving our permission for them to be able to wear swimming goggles?? Seems silly that they aren't just allowed to wear them, do far better during a lesson with them on too!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

They're not allowed to stick a child in year 1 literacy until they can read a certain level of book
Actually this can happen. There is a model of education called "vertical streaming" that has been tried in some schools and that is basically how it works. All classes are attended at the child's ability level rather than with their peer group, so in theory they could be at year 1 level for English and year 3 for Maths. I think it has been used more at secondary level rather than primary.
In many countries you are expected to pass each year at school and being held back is not uncommon. The state sector in England is convinced that children must be educated with their age peer group but this is not the case in some other countries.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now