Any information on RGS, High Wycombe

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

joop

Any information on RGS, High Wycombe

Post by joop »

We have been offered RGS unexpectedly and live OOC near Stokenchurch. I don't know anyone who attends this school so any opinions would be helpful. Going to look at it with my ds shortly. Feel free to pm with me with any positives/ negative experiences. We need to make our mind up by next allocation.

Found out there is a school bus from Stokenchurch although transport could not give me any idea if we would be likely to get a place as OOC ?

Many thanks
harrow123

Re: Any information on RGS, High Wycombe

Post by harrow123 »

i have been to the school

all good there, good position in league tables, good extra activities offered as well

i did not find any negatives with this school
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

My DS is there. Loves it. Good for kids who cope well with pressure, and has an ethos of "it is cool to be clever and try hard". Fabulous music department. Great for sport (rugby, hockey, cricket but not football) if you get picked for the team. Not so great if you don't get picked as can't go to the sports clubs then.
Very different in character to JH which is also an excellent school.
:)
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS is in Y8, he enjoys it (most of the time!) and is doing very well. Expectations are high and the boys are always expected to put in their best effort. DS needs this type of environment otherwise he does "just enough", other boys may find it too pressured. The workload can be quite daunting but the boys soon get into a rhythm. Homework is best tackled on the day it is set as otherwise it can build up and it's hard to know where to start.

The behaviour around the school is exceptional and the boys are polite and well mannered. They treat members of staff with respect and in return are treated with respect themselves. Obviously a school with 1400 teenage boys is going to have some "bad eggs" but they are dealt with firmly and fairly. DS was the victim of bullying but the head of year managed it brilliantly and there have been no repercussions. Pastoral care is surprisingly strong considering some regard the school as a "hot house exam factory". All the teachers I have come across are approachable and seem genuinely interested in encouraging the boys to achieve their potential.

Sporting opportunities are numerous, there are several bands/orchestras plus other extra curricular clubs such as science club and both a Christan fellowship and Islam society.

(I think I should start a new thread - RGS Appreciation Society :wink: )

I think it's a brilliant school and I hope that DS2 will be following his brother in due course.

As far as transport is concerned, DS travels on the Stokenchurch bus as a concessionary passenger because we live within the 3 mile limit. I would assume that an OOC boy would be treated in much the same way and would have to put his name down on the waiting list.
joop

Post by joop »

Really helpful thanks.

We really liked it when we saw it today and were impressed with the atmosphere when walking around and observing the boys behaviour around the school.

Is the bus number from stokenchurch 966 and do you know if it is usually quite full ? Just wondering about the chances of getting a place on the bus i did contact transport to put my name on the waiting list.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi, yes it's the 966 Ibstone to RGS. It doesn't pick up casual passengers, just RGS boys with bus passes. As far as I know it is full at the moment but things change during the summer as boys leave and new Y7's start. Bucks CC aim to keep the bus full so offer seats to boys on the waiting list (at a cost) usually around October half term.
joop

Post by joop »

Finally received my official offer letter from Oxfordshire today and the welcome pack for RGS. We have decided to definitely accept this place and come off the waiting list for our other preferences. My son really liked the school and is very keen to go.

It has been a bizarre 8 months. If anyone would have predicted last year that my ds would be going to RGS (we live 14.4 miles away) I would have thought that they were crazy. We didn't even bother looking at this school.

Expect the unexpected !
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Congratulations joop.
Great news that your DS has found a school that he is really happy with.
I have my eye on RGS for my DS, we are OOC too, so encouraging that it has happen this year it may happen again - I'm getting ahead of myself he is only 6!!!
joop

Post by joop »

Thanks Kiwimum

We have been extremely lucky as it was always going to be a real long shot for us. Oxfordshire have said that it is the first time they have ever had students with grammar school places in our village (there are 2 of us this year).

Make sure you have a good plan b, or move within catchment ! We had an independent school as plan b, which is a very good school, but would have been years of poverty for us. We also couldn't move nearer due to OH having to be within a certain distance of work when on call.

We are a very happy family at the moment. Keep pinching myself !
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Was very happy to see your DS got a GS place - Congratulations - what a relief for you all.