Tiffin Boys Or Sutton Boys or Wallington County?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

svg123

Tiffin Boys Or Sutton Boys or Wallington County?

Post by svg123 »

Hi,

I am trying to assess options for my DS for entry in Sept 2012. I will be visiting these schools this year during open days and try to gauge myself. However, I was wondering if anyone got any opinions, +ve or -ve feedback of each of these schools from their own or friends/family experience.
I am new to the UK too, so not too many friends to ask around.

I hope someone can help me with some details.

Thanks in advance.

regards,
savitri
vasu

Re: Tiffin Boys Or Sutton Boys or Wallington County?

Post by vasu »

There is a "search engine", just type in the name of the school and you will find loads of posts about them. :). There wealth of information about the schools, their tests and resources which help you prepare. Best of luck! We are in the same boat as you.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Horses for courses I am afraid-they are all good schools. They are spread out and the distance your son would have to travel may be important.
I think you will find that when you visit you will get a better feel for the schools and hopefully decide which you like best-often the decision is made depending on which one the child gets into!
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi

DS is in Yr 7 at Wally Boys and loving it. I'm sure others will be along to tell you the same about Tiffins and SGS. IMO they are all good schools.

What I can tell you is that WGCS has a fairly new H/M and he has been making slow and steady improvements to the school (which I think are starting to take effect).

I was worried about DS going to a single sex school but he loves all the camaradie and they have discos at least once a term with Wally Girls/Nonsuch. DS wasn't one for sport in primary school but he is in the rugby team and loves it. Communication from the school, so far, has been very good. They also have a strong house system going which is quite competitive (boys love that!)

I think I'm right in saying that WCGS is smaller than the other and the buildings/grounds remind me of a minor public school, although they could do with a bit of updating (this is slowly happening).

You need to go and look at them all and just get a "feel" as that and ease of journey is what it will come down to.

Good luck to your DS.

Px
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Ah - that answers a question Plum!

Also have a DS in yr7 at WCGS. I think you need to look at your sons personality a bit. There was something about SG & Wilsons which was quite wrong for my DS and it's very difficult to put a finger on what that is. A good friend of his has gone to SGS and I can see that it's very right for him, indeed I know quite a lot of boys at SGS and all are very happy there.

From my own experience - WCGS have an excellent induction process. Friends who have been through this process before with older siblings warned me that the first term would be very tough. It hasn't been for either my DS or theirs and they are amazed at how easy it's been. The school stresses it's pastoral care and I have to say that they have delivered on that front totally. Another major difference in the schools is that Wally boys do their KS3 in 2 years and not the normal 3. That differs from SG certainly, not sure about the other Grammars but I think that's unique, so there is quite a push in the first years. There is also a very strong family atmosphere, and strong loyalty to their house.

We too had difficulty choosing initially, originally hoping for SGS, and had dismissed WCGS as it's further from us, but in the end the feel of the school was what it came down to and we quite literally made our decision on the day before the LEA application had to go in having been round both schools 3 times.
Plum

Post by Plum »

ThreeKids wrote:Also have a DS in yr7 at WCGS. I think you need to look at your sons personality a bit. There was something about SG & Wilsons which was quite wrong for my DS and it's very difficult to put a finger on what that is. A good friend of his has gone to SGS and I can see that it's very right for him, indeed I know quite a lot of boys at SGS and all are very happy there.

From my own experience - WCGS have an excellent induction process.
Totally agree - forgot about the induction days - DS didn't want to go back to his primary school afterwards!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

My sons are at SGS-this is the same size as Wally boys, Wilsons is a bit larger (150 v 120 in year group). Both Wilsons and Wallington do KS3 in first 2 years. They all have induction days and a house system. Wilsons have all their sport on site whereas both Wallington and SGS have sports fields they need to travel to-although Wallington does have some playing fields on site
Others are right in saying all 3 schools have a different feel to them but all 3 are good and we know satisfied customers from each of them-many of whom perhaps didn't have the school they ended up at as their first choice but it has worked out well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now