Standardised Weighted Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mendozv

Standardised Weighted Scores

Post by mendozv »

Can someone please explained how the standardised weighted scores are worked out?

How do you go from Enlish x/50, Maths x/40, VR x/80... to three hundred plus whatever?

Thanks
Alex

Re: Standardised Weighted Scores

Post by Alex »

Try:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

But if they are Essex scores (which those numbers look like) then the age standardisation does not apply.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This link explains Nfer standardised scores - the first half explains how standardised scores are derived without age standardisation. http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mendozv

Post by mendozv »

by the way, yes we are talking about Essex
mendozv

Post by mendozv »

How do I find out what the average raw score was in each subject and the standard devidation? I would like to calculate what each individual point would have meant in terms of the standardised sore. Is this information published?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I've not heard of it being published.

I doubt the schools have the scores in that much detail. I think the CSSE just provide them with the standardised scores and a ranking list. Have you tried asking the CSSE?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

No I'm not aware that the information is published. You could try requesting the information from CSSE.

I'm quite not sure what you hope to gain though?

The point of standardisation, is to rank how your child performed in comparison to other children, usually this is the cohort who sat the test . It also acts as a way to meaningfully add tests together. Additionally it can take account of age differences but you are not concerned with that in Essex.

If the information is for a future test then the figures won't be known. If the information is for an appeal then I'm not sure how productive this argument would be.

It would be interesting to know the answer though. :)

edited to add: good explanation here http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... scores.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (ignore the age standardised paragraph)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now