Pates PE kit

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muminTewkes

Pates PE kit

Post by muminTewkes »

OK,we all know Im bored and just want to get on with it! Have just looked on the Pates website and seen the Kukri online shop is open.
So...I realise that the kit isnt essential for boys but who has what?is it the thing to do or...not?
Really dont want him to look a numpty sporting Pates training top if no one else does! :?
Thank you!
Glparent

Re: Pates PE kit

Post by Glparent »

DD current yr7 - had same query last year, plus sizing issues as DD very slight!

In my experience DD says about 50/50 have Pate's white sports tshirts (DD doesn't). I think it matters either way, but if you're very sporty & likely to be on teams etc then the black logo stuff is prob required.

For girls long Kukri trousers are compulsary - DD hasn't worn them ONCE in games lessons as teachers always say it's not cold enough (even in all that awful weather in Dec!!! :shock: ) although I think she used them as hockey club once or twice!!!

Did end up buying kukri wind-proof top (from school office) which has been far more cost-effective!

Maybe Milla or Emerald E can shed some more light from DS point of view??
Milla

Post by Milla »

hi, mother of a reluctant sports boy here. a friend gave us their old Kukri top. Unworn. DS2 became very good at self-certificating - a limp would develop round about 2 pm on the Thursday to reach its peak at 2 the next day, games day. To be forgotten completely come half 3.
The Kukri stuff seems to be mainly for girls - the skort thing and whateve Glparent mentioned. Or for keen-o boys. There are plenty of these (just not my or EE's!!) Had to ring school today as had lost list and no longer on line and had forgotten what the summer stuff is - he does like cricket but whether the staff will have written him off following the rugby I don't know.
If worried about rugby (?) don't be! my older boy who is far too skinny to play rugby just loves it. Think this is why DS2 so anti :(
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Hi. We bought the rugby splash top. DS had never played rugby before but really enjoyed it and got a few games in the C team. The top has not been worn much - never in PE lessons and really just for when he was a sub in matches. If you do go for one, buy large as sizing tends to be on the small side. We went for age 13-14 which should be fine for another year.
Pushkin
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

We have just read the pe kit list from Pates and I have a couple of questions. If we don't buy ds1 the trousers off the kukri site and it snows(for example),will he have to do pe in his shorts or can he wear plain black sports trousers? Also, if ds1 plays rugby for the school does he have to have Pate's branded shorts or will a plain black pair be ok?
Maybe I am being a little dense but by branded do they mean a small makers logo is not allowed, or just team brands etc?
The whole growing up thing is happening too fast for my liking and I'm not ready to think about changing schools yet but feel that with the kukri shop closing soon I have no choice but to start. I had only got as far as the school uniform :lol: :roll:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Pushkin

Post by Pushkin »

Hi. We just bought ds plain black shorts from the Famous and they were fine for the rugby team. My ds often wore thermal top and trousers underneath. In winter PE was always inside. After Easter they moved outside for athletics when some wear thermals under the white kit. He tells me they will move to cricket after half term and that he needs cricket trousers, apparently :?:
Pushkin
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

I also bought plain rugby shorts, DS played in just these, no bottoms (or school trousers and shoes if he had forgotten the kit) all season in the games lessons. However, he is a very keen player and was in the A team and I think would have really benefitted from the tracksuit. We ordered him one in the second round (around Christmas I think) it took months to turn up and will not do a second season even though I had ordered 2 sizes up.

So if you think your DS will make the team I would probably order the full kit although there is very little hanging around, they arrive, train for half an hour and are then straight into the match. Substitutions only seem to be made in the case of an injury so few boys hanging around getting cold, but it is great to whip on at the end when the adrenaline has gone. My DS does wear thermals, undershorts and body armour though.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Thanks slackmum!
TBH we bit the bullet and ordered in a flurry of credit cards and tape measures yesterday :shock:

DS1 is a very keen rugby/cricket/athletics kid already so we ordered most of it-he'll wear it for training at the weekend anyway with his team here.
I expect he'll look like a refugee as Ive ordered 13-14/small adult (hes fairly tall/big anyway)but Im not paying that for a few mths wear-he'll just have to look silly for a while....
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I think that we will be biting the bullet as well. Payday this week and I know where my money is going! :wink: Ds1 does most activities at school now and although he has only played tag rugby he wasn't too bad, scored lots of tries and enjoyed it. He sounds as though he will carry on with clubs etc at Pate's so I think it will be worth it. Next year I think we will have a better idea though. :lol:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
happychap

Post by happychap »

I have ordered the skort etc for DD but am now looking at the email just received about the mouth guard.

So questions:

It is recommended for those that play hockey. Do all girls play hockey at Pates?

Do those that DO play hockey all have the mouth guard?

I played hockey for my school back in the day and have never even heard of girls having one till now, so how essential is it?

Any advice welcome!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now