Best school for vulnerable Aspergers boy?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
swiddle

Best school for vulnerable Aspergers boy?

Post by swiddle »

If you know QE Boys, Latymer and Dame Alice Owen, do you have any views on what they're like, and whether they would suit a bright but sensitive boy with mild Aspergers?
He needs a quiet, small place, with a sympathetic approach from staff and kids alike.
Or can you suggest another state school in north London /Herts that would be suitable?
(PS - I am not being a precious, over-protective parent - his issues are real!)
zs-mum

Re: Best school for vulnerable Aspergers boy?

Post by zs-mum »

Hi there. Does your son have a Statement of Special Educational Needs? Please PM me as my son who has high functioning autism attends one of these schools so I may be able to assist.
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

You could take a look at JCoSS in East Barnet as this school has a special unit for children on the autistic spectrum. If your DC is statemented then you do not have to be Jewish to go there and as they currently only have year 7 the school is still quite small. If you have more than one child take note that the school holidays follow the Jewish calendar so your DC may be on holiday at different times. I know one DC with ASD who goes there and he is doing really well.

My own DS goes to DAO and we are both very happy with it but he does not have any additional needs so we are not looking at it from the same point of view as you would be. My advice would be to go and look at all these schools, see what you and your DS think and talk to the Senco there.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO is a big school but many children find their niche there. There are so many openings in sport,music, drama, science and maths to name but a few. My dd is happily co-existing with her interests with other Y7's who have completely different interests and their paths hardly cross at all. I find the staff very committed and responsive but my dd is used to being very proactive and maybe others have a different experience. I do notice that those from private schools where it all tends to come to you a bit more are taking longer to settle in. But I would guess that you are used to fighting your son's corner and you would be just fine. Does your ds have any special interests? DG
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Hi,

It is some years now, but one of the best friends of my son who also had mild Aspergers went to Compton School and his has been very happy there. My son is at QE and for all the advantages of the school I can not honestly argue that it would be an ideal selection for a sensitive boy.

I hope this helps,
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now