appeal for an oversubscribed school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JB

appeal for an oversubscribed school

Post by JB »

My son passed both slough (111) and bucks(121) 11+. We put Herschel as our first choice, however Herschel is oversubscribed therefore we have been offered our second choice.

We have appealed, we have been offered our second choice this school is about 6miles away from our home and Herschel is approx 2 miles. Additionally grandparents live 5 mins away from Herschel, as both parents work this is very important. Furthermore my son is very upset because most of his friends have been offered a place at Herschel. Academically my son is in top set for all his subjects at school he is predicted level 5's in all his subjects.

We have got an a appeal date in couple weeks can anyone help all info welcome. My thoughts are the above reasons for an appeal to a oversubscribed school are weak. :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi JB

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I am glad that you freely admit that all the reasons you give - bar one - are weak. The one strong reason you give is top set, Level 5's. You need to muster all the academic evidence you can and then find the strongest reasons you can as to why Herschel is the best school for your son.

Take a look at Etienne's wonderful Appeal Q&As - link at the top of th page, and read the section on transfer appeals. Then come back to us with any questions.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at the strengths of Herschel - match them to your son's abilities - be specific. I don't know the school but if it is strong in music for example and you son is musical this would be a good reason. Are there GCSEs he would like to do that are not offered at other school?

Put in the grandparents and ease of transport e.g. if he's sporty and likely to be in teams or wanting to stay to after school activities this is ALL relevant.

When we did an over subscription appeal [albeit Primary] we quoted things from their aims to show how it would meet our child's needs. Look at website, prospectus, OfSTED report, ... anything to show Herschel matches the school your son needs and GOOD LUCK!