do we raise issue of possible unfair admission process?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
catmum

do we raise issue of possible unfair admission process?

Post by catmum »

Well we have finally got all evidence together and completed letter ( revised it 20 times!) and are ready to hand deliver it for appeal against non-qualification +oversubscription at end of may. :roll: ( son was 5 points off qualification)
We have included all relevant points re academic evidence ( school report, year 5 report, headmaster letter of support etc) and have explained mitigating circumstances ( admittedly not major ones, but several smaller issues, we have said we realise are not major issues but may have combined to affect him) and have given reasons for wanting this school.

At the appeal the school will present their case, he didnt qualify, oversubscribed etc.
My question is, is it advisable to raise the point that the school requested copies of the primary school report when we applied for taking the entrance exam, as i thought they shouldn't ask this. ( there also seems no valid reason for it as the school do not conduct any reviews of papers close to pass mark or similar, it is just pass or fail cut off mark) if i should, how could it be raised ( dont want to antagonise!)
I could quietly point out that i have included copy of year 5 report in appeal eveidence but that school already has copy from application?
hermanmunster

Re: do we raise issue of possible unfair admission process?

Post by hermanmunster »

On the whole, if the report has not been used in any close to the pass mark reviews then I would not mention it.
Tends to be better to concentrate on the process without having a pop at the system.

The school may have had it but not necessarily the appeal panel and after all everyone appealing will be in the same situation.
catmum

Post by catmum »

thanks for that, I was kind of thinking along those lines, just wasn't sure why they asked for them in first place.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You are right that the Admissions Code clearly states with regard to oversubscription criteria that " ..... admission authorities must not .... take account of reports from previous schools about children’s past behaviour, attendance, attitude or achievement".

When it comes to "Questions to the authority", it would be legitimate ask why a copy of the report was requested if it plays no part in the admission arrangements.

However, provided that places have been allocated strictly in accordance with score, I think I agree that you've probably nothing to gain from raising this as far as the appeal is concerned.

If you want, you could wait until you have the decision on your appeal, and then send a letter to the school requesting an explanation.
Etienne
sillyjolly

Post by sillyjolly »

I have an application form for the Entrance Examination for this year and the letter states that "No registration will be processed until all documents have been received". The documents in question are:

1. Photocopy of baptismal certificate
2. Photocopy of last report from the applicant's present school.

The letter says that year 4 reports will be accepted, please forward year five once available. :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sillyjolly - is this an independent or state school?
sillyjolly

Post by sillyjolly »

A state school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

On the face of it, asking for a school report looks like a breach of the Admissions Code, although if this were to be the case, it probably wouldn't help at an appeal.
Etienne
catmum

Post by catmum »

I guess sillyjolly is referring to same school as me, a voluntary aided church school?
I'm surprised they are still asking for school report as i believe they were already made to change thier admissions criteria a couple of years ago following complaint to the ombusdman. I may ( politely) ask how they use the school report at our sons appeal. It does make you wonder how objective thier selection and admission process is though! :?
sillyjolly

Post by sillyjolly »

Quite! :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now