How to choose ...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Celtica

How to choose ...

Post by Celtica »

Which grammar school do children go to from Malmesbury? A tutor assessed our child last week and says DD is 'definitely Pate's material'. But this seems so far. What are people's thoughts? Many thanks ...
muminTewkes

Re: How to choose ...

Post by muminTewkes »

Dont choose.

Sounds odd but just concentrate on getting through the test.
There will obviously be schools that dont "do it"for you or your child but I suspect with the great schools we have in Glos then there will be more than one that does.

Travel is also a major factor-and was with us with having other children.

We were very happy with STRS or Pates and tbh werent sure if Pates would be an option.
DS1 always slightly preferred the latter but we played STRS strengths up as Pates is such a strange beast..as it turned out hes off to Pates in September.

I hope this makes sense but I honestly dont think pinning hopes on one school is the way to go.Just my opinion though.
Newshoes

Post by Newshoes »

Totally agree. Keep your DDs options open.

Have a good look round all 4 GS in the area; Pates, HSFG, Ribston and Stroud High. All are equally impressive for different reasons. You may wish to take DD with you and let her get a feel for what she does and doesn't like. The dates for visits are posted on each website - see also posts from weaver who has provided links with dates. You may want to look round on a 'normal' working day - we did this and it was much more informative than the Open evenings, which showcased the schools features! All schools will also be able to give you a list of school transport providers - do not rely on shire hall for this.

You can now sit the test at your 'local' GS without this affecting your chances and tick all of the boxes to share the results. That way you will have a score or (hopefully) an offer of a place at a range of GS and you can then make the choice.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Celtica wrote:Which grammar school do children go to from Malmesbury? A tutor assessed our child last week and says DD is 'definitely Pate's material'. But this seems so far. What are people's thoughts? Many thanks ...
No need to choose - just tick the all the boxes on the back of exam application form to share the results with all the schools.

However, as for 'Pate's material', you'll find that there are many children who are 'Pate's material' at ALL of the grammar schools. Some parents have different views from others on the value of the 35 mile per direction trip vs. the perceived value of going to Pate's.

Each school has a different feel & nature, and one may just suit your child better than another. If they're bright, they'll do well whichever garmmar they go to.

In our case, Stroud just happens to suit our eldest perfectly - she adores it, and we're pretty sure that they younger will love it as well (she already knows which after-school clubs she wants to join). I don't think that they would be quite so happy at Pate's; they'd still be happy, but not as happy. And they can walk to school with friends & pop off to their homes after school.

We also had the local comp as 2nd choice on the form, rather than another grammar, as to us the travelling vs. relaxation time is important. I know that bus journeys can be fun & a bit of a social club, but it's not the same as playing in the woods!

There is one case where a long journey would work - that's when the parents need to work 9 to 5 and the child leaves before that & returns after that - no child-care worries!
Capers
Celtica

Post by Celtica »

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies! That really takes the pressure off - I thought we had to make a decision before the test. I like the idea of visiting all the schools and seeing which one (if any) might fit.
It's also nice to hear that the other GS's have a good reputation - sorry for my ignorance - it's all a bit new to me.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Also give careful consideration to the amount of time YOU are prepared to spend driving backwards and forwards between Malmesbury and Cheltenham for six or seven years to attend parents meetings,pick up after school clubs, concerts,music lessons.

Do you have other children you need to take into account too ?
Celtica

Post by Celtica »

Yes I do have other children - that's the tricky thing isn't it? DD seems to fly through the 11 plus practice papers but I doubt my other children will. Of course, DD might flunk the exam - problem solved :) But if she did really well a move to Ciren might be on the cards. Though would this be the best thing for the others? ... The parent's constant dilemma.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Well Cirencester might be a good base since Cheltenham and Stroud are reasonably close and Deerpark school has a lot to recommend it too as the non eleven plus option.

Don't forget you will pay the cost of all that travelling too.

Good Luck !
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Alice in Underland wrote:Well Cirencester might be a good base since Cheltenham and Stroud are reasonably close and Deerpark school has a lot to recommend it
1/2 way between Ciren & Stroud (property price dependent) would be OK if your child liked the Stroud grammars.

Also recommended by many is Thomas Keble at Eastcombe (near Chalford Hill) - I know quite a few children who either passed for grammar, or would have passed if they'd taken it, who have gone there as a preference. We thought that it wouldn't suit our children, but that's because it's a very calm school, rather than not a good school. Incedentally, they work wonders with children with SEN (irrespective of ability). I feel it has an emphasis on CDT & engineering, not so much on music (or maybe has fewer musical children going there, and there's no implication that the music teaching is not up to standard - certainly the perapatetics who I know teach there are fine & the music teacher seemed OK when we looked round).
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now