First Appeal and PAN

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
committed

First Appeal and PAN

Post by committed »

A bit of a strange one this, but I would appreciate any advice you might be able to give.

A friend of mine is appealing to a school A and is the first appeal (will come on to relevance here in a second...). Another acquaintance has just been successful in her appeal to school B and is giving up her place at school A.... We’re based in Kent and the next waiting list round is not due until June.

Given that School A will theoretically be under PAN at the point of the first appeal, can my friend who is appealing simply argue that there is no over-subscription issue to appeal against or, are appeals taken as a whole and everyone who is appealing could make the same point? :?

In addition, unfortunately my friend is not just appealing for over-subscription, but also for non-qual. :( Even if it was the case that she could make the point that the school has a spare place at the time of her appeal, would that put the appeal panel’s backs up when it came to the non-qualification arguments?

I realise it is a bit convoluted, but would appreciate any comments or advice you could give.
hermanmunster

Re: First Appeal and PAN

Post by hermanmunster »

Your friend has to address the non qual first and foremost. If she doesn't succeed at that then the PAN / oversub issues are irrelevant.
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks Hermanmunster, that is undoubtedly the most relevant part of the case that needs to be stressed. I think she was more hoping that it might be the only bit she had to address!!

Given that she has a comprehensive appeal based on why her DS under-performed on the day, evidence that he is of GS standard and why this school is the one for him, should she make the point about the school having a spare place at the point at which she is appealing - or should she just conduct the appeal as if she didn't know and deal with the over-sub case as normal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This is what I think ought to happen .....

If the admission authority have been officially notified that a place has been relinquished, they could fill the vacancy from the waiting list at any time up until the point that the panel allow one appeal. If they really are waiting for another round of allocations, the admission authority should tell the panel that the school is one below PAN - the panel cannot simply accept what your friend says.

If the panel know that there is one spare place at the time they take their decisions (i.e. the end of the appeals), they will allocate that place to the strongest case from among those appellants they conclude ought to be deemed qualified.

If the panel are unaware of a spare place, your friend should ask about this, but (1) it will need to be confirmed by the admission authority, and (2) if it is agreed the school is one below PAN, your friend will not get 'priority' through the appeals process. She would get the place if her child turns out to be the only one deemed to be qualified, but in the meantime she must put forward a good case to explain why she wants a place at the school.
Etienne
committed

Post by committed »

Thank you so much for that Etienne, it is exactly what I needed to know.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now