BBC League Tables

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bewildered1000

BBC League Tables

Post by Bewildered1000 »

I came across something very strange. All the KEGS in B'ham score in there 90's and more, and yet Eton College, the most prestigious school in the world has a score of 68%. So, why am I busting my gut, when it seems that a school as reputable as this has failing children end up as potential MP's and leaders of industry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/e ... ml/868.stm

See Windsor and Maidenhead

There is something wrong..[/url]
KenR

Post by KenR »

H Bewildered,

Almost certainly this will be because Eton has chosen to take the more challenging IGCSE exams rather than the conventional GCSE. Lots of Private Sector schools are doing this but unfortunately QCA and DfES do not recognise the exam when compiling league tables.

My daughters schools KEHS has done the same and have suddenly dropped from No1 in the league tables to close to the bottom.

The following is a quote from the Headmistress from the school web site:-
League Tables

Just a reminder of something I mentioned at the end of the summer term- because last year’s U5th entered IGCSE mathematics, an exciting and challenging alternative to GCSE, the school will appear on the DfES ‘league tables’ published Thursday 11th January as having 0% of girls with 5 GCSEs A to C grades, including Maths and English.

We shall therefore have gone from top of the league to bottom.

In fact all 78 girls achieved A to C in IGCSE maths, and 67 gained A or A* grades.
I would say “League tables? – What nonsense!” were it not for the fact that at A level we are the top independent school in the country on point score per candidate.

Click here for League Tables for A level

Click here for League Tables for GCSE. We have included IGCSE results for KEHS

Sarah Evans
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is it because they sit the iGCSEs which do not count? Only guessing -
solimum

Post by solimum »

Looking at the website (you'd think I'd have something better to do on such a lovely sunny day!) it could be because some of the boys bypass GCSE Maths and go straight to AS

Not sure that it's worth the extra £26,000 or so compared to Camp Hill though!

Post by Guest »

To say that Eton and KEHS do different GCSE's to the national cirriculum is rather lame and a waste of education fees. In the real world, an employer does not ask what type of GCSE's were taken, but how many and in what subjects. However, having gone to Eton, I suppose it wouldn't matter much, as Daddy will get little Jonhny a job in the city. The whole point has been missed on the original post, that compared to the national standards, Eton fails the test, irrespective of different exams being taken. Their A levels results don't fair any batter either, do they sit "different" A levels to the national test as well.

I suppose the underlying point here is, that most boys who go to this school are from comfortable backgrounds in terms of money, and as such don't need to work hard, just take the royal family for example. The school name on the CV will open many doors, even if you lack total common sense, but know your wines.

Having said that, there was a boy in my class at University and he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, so I appologise for the earlier generalisation.

I do know that the criteria for enterance to Eton is hard and background to one's social class makes a huge difference. The Governors are made up of some real influential people to say the least.

However, the school could do a lot better in my humble opinion.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest - I am NOT supporting Eton - far from it!! All I was pointing out is that boys sit the iGCSEs and get grades but this grades are ignored by those who put the tables together. So unless the boys do five 'normal' GCSEs that cannot possibly be included in these statistics! The 'excuse' is that the normal GCSEs are 'too easy' -

I agree that boys are sent there for 'other' reasons - not their results!!
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Is this not a bit of jealousy, similiar to selective grammar and super selective grammar schools (mentioned in previous thread)

Yet again it comes down to whats best for your child. Would all our children flouish at Eton? Mine wouldn't but I don't begrudge those who can afford it, if they believe it's the best for their child, whether that be because of acadaemic ability or reputation so be it. What I want for my children is a school that developes them both academically and socially so they enjoy their formative years and achieve the best they can.

I came out of school with O level's (showing my age!) but no "A"'s and later did an MSc, this was available to me through my chosen career, I have very happy memories of school, could I have done better? well probably, however would I have been as happy? who knows and I am where I am now because of hard work so a lot is possible despite what school I went to, Eton or my Local school, I wouild probably still be where I am now and am happy with that.
NKM

Post by Guest »

The issue isn't one of Eton kids doing well or not, but how they use what they learn and have put into good effect. The difference between a boy from a normal comp education with 10 A*'s and someone from Eton with 5 A*s, is that the later has the ability to market himself far better and with real confidence, something that these schools are equiped to teach these young men. Unfortunately, comp schools don't inspire their kids to be confident and market themselves as well in the job market. As a result, in industry, the top jobs go to these Etonians. I am not jealous, I am dismayed at the lack of state schools failing bright kids by not providing them with the necessary skills other than academic to get ahead in industry.

The Etonians are taught to communicate clearly, confiedently and effectively. With my education and these important skills at a young age, I would have furthered my career far better.

Post by Guest »

Bewildered
The same thing happens if the more able year 11 children sit AS levels instead of GCSEs.

Here in Kent one of the state grammar schools has been the subject of some snide remarks in the press because only around 80% of candidates got 5 GCSE passes including maths and English. The other 20% sat AS level maths as the GCSE course was too basic (i.e. boring) for them. All got good passes, mostly A's, and all are counted as failing to meet the government target in the league tables!

Result? In future the school may feel pressurised into making all candidates do the GCSE. As a future parent I do hope not. League tables don't always RAISE a schools aspirations it seems....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They could sit the GCSE early ... then do AS in Y11