Beth' Grammar School - any insight

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adaly14437

Beth' Grammar School - any insight

Post by adaly14437 »

Could anybody give me some real insight as to what Beth's grammar school is like? I have heard different rumours, that they do not get much homework, that there is bullying "a hard core of pupils there" and that the discipline is not great. Any experts on this? Mind you I have heard there is bullying at all these schools! I find it hard to believe when I look at the results!

New Mum
dani*

Re: Beth' Grammar School - any insight

Post by dani* »

I think that sadly bullying occasionally happens at every school. What is important is how schools are dealing with it. I don't think there is any connection between bullying and the overall results the school achieves.

I don't have any experience with Beths but at our Primary school it seems the most popular choice for many boys. Most boys in our primary school seem to prefer it over C&S because Beths are offering Football ??

As far as bullying goes. I know of a girl who was bullied at C&S, sadly the girl didn't tell anyone what was going on and the situation carried on for months. However, as soon as the school became aware of the problem it was dealt with swiftly. Now many years later she is crying her eyes out because she needs to leave this year to go on to Uni. I'm just saying this because I think it is important not to be put off by the bullying stories. Different children have very different experiences at the same schools. I think the best thing is to visit as many schools as you can during the open days and visit the ones you are really interested in during the day as well as the open evenings to get a feel for the place.

Good Luck.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

dani* wrote: Different children have very different experiences at the same schools. I think the best thing is to visit as many schools as you can during the open days and visit the ones you are really interested in during the day as well as the open evenings to get a feel for the place.

Good Luck.
This is so true - a school can be right for one child but totally not for another child - after sending two totally opposite dd's to different secondarys i learnt that even if you think its a great school, the locals say its a great school - all this means nothing if it does not suit your dc's personality.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

My son is in year 8 and seems to get quite a bit of homework - although I think it's partly the combination of teacher's he has - they get mixed up quite a bit for different subjects and I think he has ended up with the teachers who like homework! The history projects in particular cause huge amounts of grief in this house.

He has had some problems with being called a 'nerd' - we spoke to his form teacher about this last year and he wanted my son to go to him if it continued but my son decided it was best ignored. It seems to have got better this year but I think the fact my son took out the ring leader twice in American football may have helped.

He does complain about the behaviour in some of his lessons - but then we chose Beths because the boys at least looked alive (unlike those at another grammar school we looked around) so it does depend what is important to you.

I don't think the communication between home and school is that fantastic - the 'reports' consist of nothing but list of numbers with one short written comment by the form teacher - they really tell us nothing about how he is doing. There is one parents' evening a year but you don't get given appointments with all the teachers you ask to see. We find it best to hover close to those we want to see but don't get appointments with and jump in as soon as there seems to be a gap. However, I don't know about reports etc in the other grammar schools - they could all be the same.

The music department seems to improve each year with opportunities to play in small groups coached by an outside professional player - we noticed a real improvement in the standard at the last concert we went to.

I'm not very keen on the number of GCSEs which my son is expected to take early - they then go on to do AS levels in some subjects in year 11, so in year 13 they end up doing a course at a uni somewhere - I can't see the point myself and would rather my son was put under less pressure early on, so that he had time for a life outside of school. They try to sell this as a positive point, but I'm not so sure. It does make changing school for the 6th form more difficult - maybe that's why they do it!