Advice on documentary evidence for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

houseful

Advice on documentary evidence for appeal

Post by houseful »

My appeal date has come through for the 25th May. My DD scored 202 and the last child to be admitted to the school of our choice scored 207. (Sutton Grammar for Girls- Birmingham)

Grounds for appeal.
1.During summer family went through temporary separation. Lived in one bed room with 4 kids. Children very unsettled.
2. Grandfather very ill, getting worse from October onwards. DD distressed cause she understood he was coming to end of his time. Passed away in December.

Evidence submitted with appeal form included a letter from the Head Teacher confirming the family situation and the difficulties it entailed. Head Teacher has been very supportive of us as a family.

A letter from the GP who in his opinion, on seeing diary entries made by my DD around the time of illness of her Grandfather, agrees that it was very likely that she underpreformed due to anxiety and stress.

I did ask the Head Teacher if she would would accompany me to the appeal, but she declined on the basis that its her policy not to attend appeals and has never done so for anyone.

I have also requested a letter of support from her form teacher highlighting my dd academic abilities/ potential and her suitability for such a school.

Should I ask her class room assistant who is very sympathetic to the case if she can accompany me? Could she provide evidence on my behalf of her academic potential to the pane.

DD also went on to be offered a place at Edgbaston High School for Girls, where the feedback was that she scored 2nd highest and was outstanding in her maths. Unfortunately I am currently not in a position to accept this offer as no further bursaries are available. They were allocated in the January round of exams which my dd did not take as they were scheduled around the time of grand fathers demise. Should I mention this in regards to her academic capabilities?

What further evidence can I provide to strengthen the case?

DD is on waiting list for Sutton Girls, so just to clarify, my appeal is on the grounds of oversubscription and not non-qualification?
Etienne

Re: Advice on documentary evidence for appeal

Post by Etienne »

houseful wrote:I did ask the Head Teacher if she would would accompany me to the appeal, but she declined on the basis that its her policy not to attend appeals and has never done so for anyone.
It was worth asking, but some heads do take the view that it would cause ill feeling if they attend for one child but not for others.
Should I ask her class room assistant who is very sympathetic to the case if she can accompany me?
You could, but I would suggest telling the panel that she's there just for 'moral support' but will answer any questions if she can be of assistance.
Could she provide evidence on my behalf of her academic potential to the pane.
I think the panel would expect evidence of academic potential to come from the headteacher or class teacher, so proceed with great caution. My advice would be that she should only respond to questions if asked, keep the answers short and factual, and avoid opinions.
DD also went on to be offered a place at Edgbaston High School for Girls, where the feedback was that she scored 2nd highest and was outstanding in her maths. Unfortunately I am currently not in a position to accept this offer as no further bursaries are available. They were allocated in the January round of exams which my dd did not take as they were scheduled around the time of grand fathers demise. Should I mention this in regards to her academic capabilities?
Generally speaking, it's probably not a good idea to discuss applications to other schools. If asked, you can respond, but unless you have the feedback in writing, it's unlikely to count as evidence.
What further evidence can I provide to strengthen the case?
For academic evidence, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For oversubscription arguments, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DD is on waiting list for Sutton Girls, so just to clarify, my appeal is on the grounds of oversubscription and not non-qualification?
If score is a criterion, and you want to submit that your daughter ought to have scored more highly, then some of the arguments will be the same as for non-qualification.
Etienne
houseful

Post by houseful »

Thanks for the feedback.

In regards to taking along school work as supporting evidence, would it be ok to take along photocopies of work tather than the exercise books rhemselves?

Spoke to yr 6 teacher today in regards to using school work and was told that I can take old exercise books but would not be allowed dd's current work as this has to remain within school.

Etienne, your advice has been invaluable. Truly appreviated. :D :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

houseful wrote:In regards to taking along school work as supporting evidence, would it be ok to take along photocopies of work tather than the exercise books rhemselves?
Sometimes this is discouraged, although it depends on what tends to happen locally (they might not even be interested in school work!). The problem is:
  • (1) it might look as if you are selecting specific pages,
    (2) photocopies are not always clear, and the teacher's comments, if made in red, may be less obvious.
Spoke to yr 6 teacher today in regards to using school work and was told that I can take old exercise books but would not be allowed dd's current work as this has to remain within school.
You could take along a mixture, and explain that this was the best you could do because of the school's policy. I would have thought most panels (if interested in school work) would understand and accept this.
Etienne, your advice has been invaluable. Truly appreviated.
A pleasure! :D
Etienne
houseful

Post by houseful »

Approaching the final lap and getting really worried now.

Have gathered all evidence possible, as well as letters from GP and HT, I also now have letter from Yr 6 teachers.

They highlight their support and confim that DD's work has indeed suffered during the time in question and was capable of gaining a place had not all the other emotional issues been going on.

Have put together my presentation for the panel in the following format
Why we want this particular school - eg suits her academically etc.
What DDs options (or lack of) if not offered a place -
Academic suitability / potential
Extenuating cicumstances for not gaining a higher mark

Have linked arguments to evidence provided in supporting documents.
Im hoping the evidence provided speaks for itself.
Will a poor presentation work against me?
From your experience do i stand a chance? :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

From your experience do i stand a chance?
Impossible to say, I'm afraid. I don't know how strong the evidence is.

There are also factors completely outside of your control:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will a poor presentation work against me?
No! It's the evidence that matters.

Good luck! :)
Etienne
houseful

Post by houseful »

Many thanks again for all your support and prompt replies.

Will provide details of the appeal hearing in the feedback section.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now