SATS Levels

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abercrombie

SATS Levels

Post by Abercrombie »

Could anyone give me any guidance as to how well my dd is currently doing at her grammar school?

Her current grades are English averaging from a 6c to 6a, Maths 5A to 6c and Science 5a.

Should I be concerned or is she on target. She is currently year 7.
hermanmunster

Re: SATS Levels

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Abercrombie

I am sure I am not the only one who found SATS levels on reports in year 7 incredibly confusing - together with traffic lights telling us how DC was getting on. Some eg languages were quite low, the reason given was that they had just started the subject, while others can be higher eg maths etc.
Abercrombie

Post by Abercrombie »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am thinking that dd is doing well and then read and hear from other parents that 6A for English is below what is expected for grammar school for the middle of year 7.

Not sure if I should be worried on not?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

... in which case, my DS is below average too for his selective school. :)

I wouldn't worry - 6a sounds perfect and bodes well for future success. It doesn't matter how quickly our DC get there, as things stand right now they still can't get higher than an A* at GCSE.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

just dug out DS's early reports - year 7 didn't help much as they were just doing A-E for attainment and 1-5 for effort :roll: , anyway first term of year 8 he got 6a in English.
They seemed happy about it and he got A* in both english GCSEs. TBH best not to listen to other parents too much!! :?
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

DDs year 6 SAT's results level were all 5's recently and think that's pretty good, so would have thought it would be hard to be much above a level 6 at end of year 7 but I'm far from expert :)
Abercrombie

Post by Abercrombie »

Hi, many thanks for all of you for taking the time to answer me, I really appreciate it!

You have now made me realise, that I shouldn't worry unless the school tell me I should. :lol:

Roll on half term!xx
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I wouldn't worry at all, to be honest. Level 5 is apparently the average at y9, so anyhting pointing to scores at that level or above is really good.
The problem is we are all so used to level 5s at primary school, apparently it's a different scoring system in KS3.
My youngest was very recently getting silly levels in Science in y8 , but not in actual classwork tests. i wouldn't worry with the scores your child is acheiving, they look very good :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now