Grammar School Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worried Mum

Grammar School Appeal

Post by Worried Mum »

My son recently failed the 11+ in Kent by 3 marks on the maths paper (112), although he scored 140 on NVR and 121 on VR, we have decided to appeal and have today received an invitation to the hearing later this month. The primary school have not been supportive in supplying us with any evidence, all we have is his last school report (year 5) which shows some high levels and some pleasing comments as to his ability and potential, apart from making our own comments on his achievements, character, strong points etc we are totally alone on this. We know that he has always been in the top maths set and was recently placed in the top 10% of his year group due to good NVR and VR scores - do we stand any sort of chance without evidence from the school and is there anything else we can do? Has anybody else been in this position?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at Etienne's Q & As for help.

Have you got KS1 NC test levels? Level 3s would be good - any other external measures e.g. CATs, NFER tests ...

It is a pity the school won't help - have they said why?
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thanks for a quick response! I can probably find his KS1 scores if I check back through his old reports - would these hold any water in a secondary appeal then? He was on level 4's for literacy and numeracy in year 5 which was considered higher than expected for his age (he's not 11 until May). The school said that they felt his 11+ maths score of 112, which was only 3 below the pass mark, actually reflected his ability??? But then went on to say that the extremely high NVR score he got showed his quick thinking and logical mind, it all seems a bit contradictory to me, especially as he's always been top set. He is a typical boy who does well without trying TOO hard, which is why I think a grammar school is just what he needs, a chance to work to his best ability and potential. I just don't want to make myself look stupid by going into an appeal hearing unarmed.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - KS1 would help! I can probably find the percentages of children nationally getting level 3s - let me know if you need these.

Have the Y5 reports got levels on? Will the school predict KS2 NC levels for you? level 5 - even better 5a would be good! If they will put them on headed paper this would be good.

NVR is usually linked to maths/science so you might be able to 'argue' that very high NVR means the Maths test was a hiccup.
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Yes, his Y5 report shows 4b for maths, 4a for reading and 3a for writing (not great, but not below), he is now on 5c for reading, 4a for maths which will hopefully be a 5 when he does his SAT's in May. I don't think the school will have time to help, we don't return from the Easter break till the 17th and any supporting evidence needs to be sent to the grammar school where the appeal is being heard at least 7 days before 25th which cuts it too fine, besides, his year group leader said that showing evidence if his levels this year would not help in an appeal. I'm not a pushy Mum who just wants him at a grammar school and I certainly wouldn't want him to struggle if he did get there, but he came so close and was so disappointed I think I owe it to him to try, so I think it will be under our own steam. Apart from levels, he's a very confident, sociable boy who is popular at school, well behaved (although a bit silly at times and talks far too much!), he's a high achiever in most areas of sport and activity and apparently in science "he has knowledge beyond his years", he also has a 98% attendance record, I know they're probably not interested in all this but I think character can be important too.

Post by Guest »

Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Thanks for that - interesting!
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

If I provide the school report as evidence, would it be best to submit the whole thing, highlighting the relevant parts or just photocopy the parts with any relevance? There are one or two comments on my sons' report which probably wouldn't do him any favours if read by the panel! Nothing discrediting his ability, but the fact that he is a chatterbox, and when it comes to recording his work, he often writes the bare minimum to get by, I know these faults are common in 10 year old boys, and I'm not trying to make him out to be an angel, but I don't want to give too many negatives!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The current levels would help - they show he is still improving - in Bucks you can take additional info with you to the appeal if you take enough copies - is this a possibilty?

My feeling abut the Y5 report is take it all and highlight the relevant - academic eveidence - if you only submit 'bits' they might infer the rest is worse than it is! Only my feeling - perhaps Etienne will be along to give her opinion.

From DfES statitistics in education:
KS1 2003 % reaching level 3 in TESTS:
Reading: 28%
Writing: 16%
Maths: 29%

Teacher assessments 2003 % level 3:
Speaking & Listening: 24%
Maths: 26%
Science: 26%

Good luck!
Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

Guest55 wrote:The current levels would help - they show he is still improving - in Bucks you can take additional info with you to the appeal if you take enough copies - is this a possibilty?

My feeling abut the Y5 report is take it all and highlight the relevant - academic eveidence - if you only submit 'bits' they might infer the rest is worse than it is! Only my feeling - perhaps Etienne will be along to give her opinion.

From DfES statitistics in education:
KS1 2003 % reaching level 3 in TESTS:
Maths: 29%

Teacher assessments 2003 % level 3:
Speaking & Listening: 24%
Maths: 26%
Science: 26%

Good luck!
Thanks for those percentages, I've found his Y2 report but it only shows level 2A for maths which is slightly above national expected average, he did get a level 3, but this was for speaking and listening (teacher assessment). I think we'll just have to go along with the little evidence we have and be as honest and straightforward as we can. Can I just ask, are you a teacher or do you have anything to do with the appeals procedure? You seem to know what you'r talking about.