HSFG Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sally.russell

HSFG Appeal

Post by sally.russell »

Appeal date is looming ever nearer, getting increasingly nervous. Is there anyone out there who is appealing for HSFG, Glos. I've heard there are about 40 applications!! How many of these qualified, so are only appealing agaist over-subscription????
We are appealing on both counts, we have good evidence however I am feeling that maybe I should be doing more. My particular grey area is the over-subscription, how much can I prepare for this? . The letter from the governors was very brief they appear to be saying that for the past x number of years they have gone 4 over PAN with no predjudice caused. Therefore I feel that they may accept 4 out of the 40, assuming they have a strong case.

I am getting so anxious, could do with some calming words/advice!!!
turtleglos

Re: HSFG Appeal

Post by turtleglos »

If you go to the Glos section there is a thread with other people in your situation. There is also some great advice from Capers. Do not fear, you are not alone in this process.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My particular grey area is the over-subscription, how much can I prepare for this? .
You don't need to worry about the governors' case - leave it to the panel to sort out whether or not there will be prejudice. Focus on your own case, because (assuming you get over the non-qualification hurdle) you have to show that you have good reasons for wanting a place. The panel will then decide whether your reasons outweigh any prejudice to the school.

Typical reasons for wanting a place are given here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
lancs2000

Post by lancs2000 »

Etienne, in our oversubscription appeal the panel did not ask the PO any questions about his statements re:class sizes etc? The school said they were full to capacity and that was that!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's not a good sign if the panel ask no questions!

Their 'defence', if challenged, would probably be"The case was so clear we didn't need to"!

However,
The school said they were full to capacity and that was that!
I would be seriously concerned if neither their written case, nor their presentation, mentioned 'prejudice'.

The Code of Practice clearly states:
3.2 The panel must consider the following issues ...... Whether or not there would be prejudice caused by the additional admission of the child. ..... the admission authority must be able to demonstrate this over and above the fact that the published admission number has already been reached.
Etienne
sally.russell

Post by sally.russell »

Just heard....... our appeal was successful :lol: :lol:
I can't thank you all enough, despite not posting that many questions or answers, I have been silently reading everything! This site, and all your expertise, has been an invaluable help to me and my family throughout this ordeal!! I'm not sure we would have been successful without it.
I will recommend it to anyone unfortunate enough to be going through the appeal process.
You are offering a fantastic (free!!) sevice here and you should be proud of yourselves.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
DD is so excited we can now really look forward to September.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What wonderful news!

Thanks so much for your kind words - and for the feedback.

Many congratulations! :D
Etienne
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

:lol: :D :lol: Well done. Congratulations. You must be thrilled. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Oh wow! Well done Sally.russell! Your DD must be so excited! :D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now