School funds

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bustwinks

School funds

Post by bustwinks »

Just received a letter from BSG thanking me for my contribution to their funds.....I have to say I did not donate a single penny...do I feel guilty...NO......I thought the idea of grammar schools was so that the less well off, bright kids got a chance of a decent education for free.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else been asked to contribute to school funds.

Is this normal practise ?
hermanmunster

Re: School funds

Post by hermanmunster »

yes pretty normal - local GS is £15 a year - some down south can be rather more... has been discussed a bit before on here, mainly to do with what it funds etc. How much were they asking for?
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

BSG sent a form for a direct debit to paid every month, as we will be paying £20 a week for DD to catch the bus, we really felt we couldn't afford to also donate on a monthly basis :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is voluntary, so it won't make any difference to your child if you don't donate. Can feel like a bit of pressure but just ignore it. TBH I think it is just as good if parents can support events / fetes / concerts etc, make cakes :roll: & sell bacon butties - our GS makes more money that way and people can give time rather than money.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

thank you for your quick reply hermanmunster, I will make sure that I give my time to the school. Many thanks
dutchess

Post by dutchess »

Hiya know this was from a few years ago, but we've never paid into the school fund and my Dd is in yr10 now but is always given the letter at the start if the year, so think they must have a list of who contributes and who doesn't !
Like you, I thought the whole purpose of grammar school was for the bright but less well off to get a good education!
Didn't have a tutor either but that's a whole other kettle of fish!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is normal practice for ALL secondary schools to ask for parental voluntary contributions to help fund the twiddly things on top - even "bog standard" comprehensives - which are for all income levels, particularly low income, who have no choice where to send their kids! The key is that it is voluntary and if you feel that you genuinely can't contribute anything financially to your son or daughter's school then you don't have to, but can make a valued contribution through giving up your time to be the parent helpers at events, or by attending other events and spending money.

Personally, I wish more primary schools asked for a direct "voluntary contribution" would have saved having to go to endless events that felt the same, every year!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now