waiting list confusion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wiseone

waiting list confusion

Post by wiseone »

Can any one explain the process of the waiting list? my daughter is on the waiting list with a score over the pass mark. the school is over subscribed. Do the appeal children get in ahead of the waiting list children even if they did not achieve the pass mark but get in from panel because of circumstances that bring them to appeal? if that is the case can that be fair?
with thanks wiseone
rollercoaster

Re: waiting list confusion

Post by rollercoaster »

Hi wiseone, many of the people going to appeal will be as you describe - with daughters who have a qualifying score but didn't get a place. There will be others who, as you also said , have mitigating circumstances that bring them to appeal. These appeals will be heard side by side and I guess the panel will give appropriate weighting as they see fit.

Choosing not to appeal is a difficult one because, as I understand it, the waiting list does become redundant once the appeals have been heard - unless there is very significant movement, which would be unusual.
wiseone

Post by wiseone »

Thank you for that rollercoaster, although it does seem unfair when there are qualifying children not getting a place when those who didnt achieve a qualifying score do ..........Is it too late for me to appeal? wiseone
rollercoaster

Post by rollercoaster »

I think you are allowed to appeal once in an academic year. (I'm no expert). The only thing is that there was a deadline for the main appeals and I suspect that any appeals put in after that are heard after that (that is after the decisions are made about the main batch).

The only way you'll know is by phoning the school directly and asking advice.

I hope you are able to appeal at some stage if this is your daughter's favourite school.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you looked at the Q&A bit in the appeals section? There is alotof advice/info about appeals in general.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

wiseone wrote:Thank you for that rollercoaster, although it does seem unfair when there are qualifying children not getting a place when those who didnt achieve a qualifying score do ..........Is it too late for me to appeal? wiseone
The appeals panel will only allow an appeal on a non-qualification if there's a good reason that the child should have done better on the day of the exam - ie granny dying the night before (with documentary proof supplied). That is fair, as it could be a child just scraped a pass, but had no reason that they should have done better.

With appeals, nothing is black and white.
Capers
wiseone

Post by wiseone »

I am looking for the answer!!! my daughter is on the waiting list with a high qualifying score but the school is over subscribed I was under the impression that I could not appeal as well as be on the waiting list I now know this not to be the case and would like to request an appeal. The appeals for the school have not been heard yet. Am I too late? where do I get the documentation from? HELP
capers123

Post by capers123 »

wiseone wrote:I was under the impression that I could not appeal as well as be on the waiting list I now know this not to be the case and would like to request an appeal. The appeals for the school have not been heard yet. Am I too late? where do I get the documentation from? HELP
You can appeal. Contact the school NOW. The school or Appeals clerk will get the docs to you - maybe by email, or maybe you could collect them in person. It may be worth saying that you originally thought that you couldn't appeal (it won't affect the outcome of the appeal, but might get some sympathy from the schools admissions office).

If you can get together appeal paperwork for your daughter within a few days, you may (but not will) be able to get into the main run of appeals by waving the time limit on submitting paperwork. That's also if the clerk can fit your appeal in. You can also take extra docs along on the day (please take 5 copies!) but the panel may need a brief adjournment to read through the docs.

If you can not make it into the main run, then your appeal will be heard after all the others have been decided on, within set time limits laid down within the Appeals Code.

The appeals process and the waiting list are two separate, unconnected things.

Your child can be on the waiting list only if she passed the test. The waiting list will stay in force usually for one term from the start of the school year (though some schools keep it longer, and then 'is a term from September until the October holiday, or until the December holiday?').

The parents of any child can appeal, irrespective of passing the test or not, or if they're on the waiting list.

Appeals for children who have passed but have not got a place (aka 'Oversubscription or Oversubs') stand a better chance of winning an appeal than a child who has not passed (aka 'Non-qualification or Non-qual'), as they have proved that they're of grammar ability. However, it is possible for non-quals to win an appeal when an oversub doesn't, entirely due to having strong mitigating circumstances.

For some schools (such as Stroud High), around 8 appeals will probably be allowed, as the school will probably not be able to prove that allowing up to 8 appeals would have a negative effect on the standard of eductation.

For Ribston, as I understand it, they have quite a few unallocated spaces - ie - are undersubscribed, so the panel could allow appeals to fill all those places without having to consider 'over-subscription'. You are not likely to have put down Ribston as you say your daughter passed, and ever child who passed for Ribston got a place.
Capers
wiseone

Post by wiseone »

With many thanks to all have have advised and supported me with this.
wiseone

Post by wiseone »

Thank you for the advice, now we have an appeal date and I am absolutly thrilled