Automatic Qualifying Score achieved but still got to Appeal!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
121casa

Automatic Qualifying Score achieved but still got to Appeal!

Post by 121casa »

Hi, My daughter achieved automatic qualifying score but I'm still having to go to appeal early next week.
We live in Coventry. 2 years ago my son sat the 11 plus and passed the test and was ranked in top 5 but still was on waiting list as we had learnt about Grammar Schools at the last minute so to speak. Still being number 1 on the wait list saved us from going to appeal. Eventually he got offered a place at Lawrence Sheriff (Rugby).
Soon after they changed rules and created Priority areas(1and 2).
My daughter sat the 11 plus and passed. Although she has 317 points, children from priority area entered with marks as low as 302 and in one case also 296!!
School teacher has wrote a brief letter explaining my DS strengths and expected SATS results to be 5a or b. Also she is on Gifted and talented register for Reading and Writing.
This has left DS distraught and cant seem to comprehend why after passing is still unable to get an entry.
Also, my wife picks up our son from his Rugby Sch. and cannot be at home when my daughter gets back from school and I would be at work.
On a separate note, the last words from her headteacher were for me to seriously consider a place in a private school (as she will thrive in that environment), only for me to remind her I was not a Doctor!!!
I need some serious help in how to put my case forward at this last minute as I have only learnt about this site.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanx..

Also, this is the nearest Grammar so is it right that we can still be considered as out of priority area??
hermanmunster

Re: Automatic Qualifying Score achieved but still got to App

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome,

Is this a case of having to get a higher score if you are not in the priority area? (as happens with other places eg Lancaster).
If so then you are having to appeal on the basis of over subscription and will need to demonstrate why the school is the right one for your DD. Have you read the Q&A on appeals ? (link at the top of the page?).
121casa

Re: Automatic Qualifying Score achieved but still got to App

Post by 121casa »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi and welcome,

Is this a case of having to get a higher score if you are not in the priority area? (as happens with other places eg Lancaster).
If so then you are having to appeal on the basis of over subscription and will need to demonstrate why the school is the right one for your DD. Have you read the Q&A on appeals ? (link at the top of the page?).
Yes,higher score req'd;
Have read Q&A now;
many thnx.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now