Gap Years

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Gap Years

Post by Looking for help »

Does anyone have experience of Project Trust Gap Year 'placements' teaching English abroad in poor countries?

My daughter skipped home tonight after a talk at school and is now determined to do something. I have a few doubts, myself. I think the experience would be incredible, but as usual am concerned by things like safety, how it all works and cost to us. She is now assuming she can fund raise the money ~ £5k, however I can't believe this will be all it costs.

Has anyone's son or daughter embarked on such a programme, and what have their experiences been like ?

Thanks
P's mum

Re: Gap Years

Post by P's mum »

My husband had a gap year with them very many moons ago. He's still in touch and I think occasionally talks for them/donates money. I know that when we lived in Egypt (also many moons ago but rather fewer than his gap year) he made a point of looking up the Project Trust students when he had to visit one of the more obscure parts of the country for business.

He considers that they are professionally run and have become more so over the years. They certainly have been in the business for a long time.

Nothing is risk free.

It might be disputable how much an 18 year old can contribute (VSO used to run such a programme, which I had my eyes on, but they discontinued it by the time that I was 18), however, I think that a proper gap year is far more likely to be of use than 'building a school' or similar for 4-6 weeks, which I'm inclined to think that the locals could have perfectly well have done for themselves. No doubt that the experience of such a gap year can be life forming. My husband went on to spend his career in overseas development. I had my chance at 22 when I started work as a new graduate with a professional job in Africa. I've spent much of my subsequent professional life also in development.
P's mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

There is what appears to be a very good non-profit organization in South Africa that organizes volunteering visits, and you don't have to go for the whole year - indeed this might not be possible in some cases especially for anyone who is reapplying to university and needs to leave time free for interviews, work, etc. DD is spending six weeks with them on a penguin conservation project at a seabird sanctuary, and will actually be living at the animal sanctuary where the baby penguins are kept. Plenty of hands-on animal experience there! They also organize other projects including wildlife conservation, helping in schools, etc. I'll happily post a link here if it's OK with the mods, otherwise if anyone is interested just PM me and I'll send details.

DD hoping to raise funds herself by becoming an Avon lady! :D
Marylou
Looking for help

Thanks P's mum and Marylou for your replies....I am quite interested myself at the moment, children getting on top of me :D

Sounds like it is a well intentioned project, I'm just scared that we may bite off more than we can chew. :o

We will have a think :D

Good luck to your DD, Marylou, I know she wants to be a Vet, this will be great work experience for her
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote:Thanks P's mum and Marylou for your replies....I am quite interested myself at the moment, children getting on top of me :D

Sounds like it is a well intentioned project, I'm just scared that we may bite off more than we can chew. :o

We will have a think :D

Good luck to your DD, Marylou, I know she wants to be a Vet, this will be great work experience for her
Thank you LFH! The organization I mentioned is called Aviva and is based in Cape Town. It coordinates volunteering placements of up to 12 weeks and caters for all ages and stages - they sometimes even have a parent and child going together!

I hope your DD has a great year and finds something fulfilling and useful for the future.
Marylou
Looking for help

I had a look at their website, it looks great, I'm away to plan a gap of my own :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now