Creative/ essay writing workbooks

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Creative/ essay writing workbooks

Post by fatbananas »

Does anyone know if these exist? In my ever-hopeful imagination, I was thinking of something that gave story ideas/ first line of a story/ words you must mention in a story, or something of that sort and blank space underneath for the story/ essay.

Or have I discovered a gap in the market? :lol:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Re: Creative/ essay writing workbooks

Post by yoyo123 »

there are some like that, the Fast Forward books are quite good, but many of the exercises refer to a book " Stacks of Stories" which was a library compilation.

Be choosy. Some of the books focused on getting from level 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 are aimed KS3 and so the content is not always suitable for the younger age group. ( I have one by Collins)

There is quite a good selection on Amazon, but its worth reading the reviews.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

11 Plus Creative writing Workbook 1

We have just started using this book with DS2 in Year 6 as he struggles with creative writing, this book breaks it down into a series of almost mechanical steps which has helped. The big test will come if he can reproduce the relevant steps under exam conditions..............
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

There are two books, "Tutor Master helps you Write Stories" by David Malindine

I ran out of time, so I didn't actually use them for DS1. I will try using them for DS2.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

What age group were you thinking of FB ? I have a few writing books where it's split into sections ....there are newspaper reports, letters, adverts , playscript, poems and stories to write .It describes what each one entails with an example and then there will be a blank one for your child.This is a WHS writing and punctuation book aged up to 9.

I also have a key stage 2 english sats book by CPG and that has a really good section on openings, endings, wow words etc.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

stevew61 wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b356

11 Plus Creative writing Workbook 1

We have just started using this book with DS2 in Year 6 as he struggles with creative writing, this book breaks it down into a series of almost mechanical steps which has helped. The big test will come if he can reproduce the relevant steps under exam conditions..............

I hadn;t seen that one before Steve! Would have been perfect for my 1:1 last year!

ah well, another for my shopping list. I need a bigger house
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for all those suggestions; I'll take a look. They are for my DS1, who is coming to the end of year 2. He, apparently, has great ideas for stories and has some lovely words, according to his teacher, but has trouble getting them down on paper in time, so there are lots of unfinished stories etc etc. Teacher thinks I need to give him lots of practice, so he can build his speed up. DS1 just complains that his hand aches!

Thing is, I already do a page of English and maths workbooks with him most days and there aren't enough hours in the day. Thought they might be a good thing to do occasionally over a wet 6 week summer holiday! If it's structured in a workbook, and he sees how much space he has to fill, I think it will focus him more.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I ordered the books yesterday from this website; they've just arrived :shock: !! What a fantastic service!

They look exactly the sort of thing I need. Now I've just ( :roll: )got to encourage/ bribe my DS to sit and do something with them! I told him last night that his teacher had told me that he had super words and story ideas and should just get them down on paper. DS told me "but it's so boring!". He told me that his hand was slower than his ideas brain and so he got frustrated trying to get it all down! I think part of it must be simply strengthening his writing hand, which will come with practice. But I also think that he has very elaborate ideas and he gets mired down in them, rather than having a short, sharp structure which will get him achieving something in the time. I don't want to kill his creativity but perhaps I can get him to think particularly about the words/ phrases as a succinct way of expressing himself?

Do you think (she writes, desperately!)? :?