St Albans School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cricketwidow

St Albans School

Post by cricketwidow »

Hi there, we are thinking of sending our son to St Albans school. I wondered if anyone would be able to give us an overview of the school and some idea of how difficult the exams are/how difficult it is to get a place?

From our visits to the school it appears to tick all our boxes, academic and sporty, but we don't know anyone with children there, hence the question.

Many thanks
Daogroupie

Re: St Albans School

Post by Daogroupie »

We have a few from our school sit every year, usually as a backup to their first choice DAO and while I have been tracking, which is ten years, nobody has ever failed to get in from either our school or any of the local state schools but I do know a few who have failed to get in from local preps. They reserve spaces at 13 for a local prep called Aldwickbury, there is a gentlemen's agreement between the two schools apparently that St Albans will discourage Y6 boys from Aldwickbury from applying and Aldwickbury will encourage Y8 boys to apply to St Albans. So I have heard a few comments about the lack of boys in Y7 but apart from that great school very sporty and great results. DG
zorro

Post by zorro »

What do you mean by 'lack of boys in Y7'? I thought St Alban's was just a boy's school?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I mean volume, not enough boys arriving in Y7 because they are saving spaces for Y9. DG
zorro

Post by zorro »

Really? So in Y7 and Y8 there are small classes and then in Y9 there is an influx of boys from prep schools?
Seems a bit hard on the new boys as the friendships will have been formed in the first term or so. Or maybe if there are 'feeder schools' the new boys know each other already?
lastminute

Post by lastminute »

There are 3 forms for first two years then I believe an additional 2 forms with the prep school intake. Classes are then mixed up to mix new boys and old. My DS is loving it, and no heavy prep to get in - a last minute application and decision- although it had been on the radar for a couple of years. From a state school -if they are 'top table' and maybe picked out for G and T in a subject/s and they have sporting or music interests then a good chance :?: Great school and the new sports hall development will add to the already fantastic sports facilities at Woollams.
cricketwidow

Post by cricketwidow »

Thanks for all your helpful responses.

Glad to hear that your son is happy Lastminute. Sounds as though my DS may have a chance as he is level 5 across the board and a very keen sports man, especially cricket. I was concerned that being from a state primary might be an issue, but was surprised to see that prep school boys sometimes don't get in as I assumed that they would be coached with the exam in mind.

Woollams looks fabulous!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I think it depends on the standard of the 'top table'
My DS was in top groups for all subjects , got level 5's in everything and didn't get in to St Alban's. Mind you , at that point he wasn't a keen sportsman- maybe that's the clincher.
Novice

Post by Novice »

Hi There :)

Having been where you are a year ago now, and my DS being a state school boy and sitting both Habs and St Albans boys in January, I think the most relevant element to it all, and actually the bit that is completely out of your control as a parent, is how clever the other children are that are sitting the exams in that particular intake year, and also how many of them that are sitting it. That was the bit that I struggled with as I could not do anything about that!!!!

This January was a record year for Habs so I understand and I told my son quite honestly that it could be the case that no matter how well he did in exam and interview, it may unfortunately not result in a place as the numbers sitting are so very high. He accepted that really well.

Unfortunately, this is something that you have to come to terms with if you want to get them into a heavily over subscribed school, however unfair it seems to these poor 10 year old boys at the time. :(

Good Luck to all.

Mxx :)

P.S. Just wanted to add that on the positive my DS got into both schools, and he was from a one form entry state primary!!!!
magic-mum

Post by magic-mum »

The sept 2011 intake is slightly different at St Albans this year - there are 4 classes in yr 7 instead of 3 (85-90 boys)- and therefore this year group may see a reduction in the 13+ intake numbers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now