Year 8 Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hellybeds

Year 8 Appeal

Post by Hellybeds »

Hello everyone, me again.

Thought I would provide a quick update but also seek your views on our next step. After two years of hard work we have successfully proved that our DD is selective. The process is unbelievably confusing, misleading and wholly unfair but we have finally reached our goal and our DD has been offered a place at a local grammar school in Medway. Not sure if we are crazy but we are returning to an appeal to our first choice grammar for a place in Year 8. The fun begins.......

We received our papers and have been asked to submit evidence to support our appeal. However, as DD is selective and we are appealing against over-subscription we are unclear what evidence we can provide? We have researched OFSTED reports, Health and Safety reports ref previous PAN numbers but assume we do not have to provide academic evidence? We are going there to attempt to prove why we think the school best fits our DD's needs and believe we have a good case. The school has also said that they do not hold waiting lists, could anybody shed any light on this, and if a place became available in term how they would decide?

Given that we went as far as the ombudsman previously, we are slightly concerned about the "independent" role played by the panel and its clerk. Can we insist on a new panel who was not involved in our first appeal, or insist that a different clerk takes a record of the meeting. Or will a completely different "independent" panel sit for Year 8 appeals?

This forum has been a great help to us throughout and we hope that it continues to provide guidance not only to us but many other parents who find themselves in a similar position. You can win but it takes a lot of time and effort.

Hellybeds
Etienne

Re: Year 8 Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Hello everyone, me again.
Welcome back! :)
we are appealing against over-subscription we are unclear what evidence we can provide?
See the Q&As: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have researched OFSTED reports, Health and Safety reports ref previous PAN numbers but assume we do not have to provide academic evidence?
Generally speaking, it would depend on local circumstances - an own-admission authority school, for example, might have its own late selection procedure. However, the situation ought to be clear because, if they've refused your application, they should have given a reason. If the only reason is "We're full," it would suggest that they recognise the qualified status.

You might choose to include some academic evidence if you are seeking to match your daughter's strengths to something that the school excels at.
The school has also said that they do not hold waiting lists, could anybody shed any light on this,
There only has to be a waiting list for the first term in year 7.
and if a place became available in term how they would decide?
Whoever happens to ask at the 'right' time, if qualified, should be admitted. If several people ask at the right time, the oversubscription criteria should be applied.
Given that we went as far as the ombudsman previously, we are slightly concerned about the "independent" role played by the panel and its clerk. Can we insist on a new panel who was not involved in our first appeal, or insist that a different clerk takes a record of the meeting.
Whether or not you could insist may depend on what faults were identified following the previous complaint, but you can certainly object, and they would be wise to consider carefully any concerns you have.
  • "The admission authority must ... provide appellants with the following information at least three working days before the hearing:
    a) names of the panel members and clerk, with the caveat that these may be subject to change due to unavoidable circumstances..... This is to give appellants (and other parties) the opportunity to raise any doubts as to the impartiality of particular panel members before the appeal hearing.
    "
You might consider raising your concerns with whoever is responsible for arranging the appeal at a much earlier stage.
Or will a completely different "independent" panel sit for Year 8 appeals?
It might be a different panel, but, if so, it is more likely to be by chance than by design.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi hellybeds
so glad your dd is now selective. I did an over-sub appeal to rochester RGS - which was successful - i posted in the feedback section and am happy to pm you if you have any questions :)
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Etienne and Tiredmum, thanks for your advice.
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi, hand delivered the Appeal papers to the school on Monday 20th June and still haven't received any acknowledgment.

Am I being inpatient, or should I chase it up?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It depends what their normal procedure is - some authorities may not routinely send an acknowledgement, although if you requested one and enclosed a stamped addressed envelope, one would hope they'd oblige!

If they have a stated policy that an acknowledgement will automatically be sent, I would have thought a reasonable period would be within a week or two (a fortnight at the most).

Unless they happen to have other 'in year' appeals in the pipeline, I suspect things might move slowly at this time of year with regard to an actual hearing, because they are allowed 30 school days in which to make the arrangements.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know when the end of term is, but we could be talking about a September hearing .....
Etienne
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Thanks for your reply Etienne, funny enough as soon as I posted this message, the post arrived with a letter confirming that our appeal will be held on 15th July.

Last day of term is the 19th, how long would I have to wait for a decision?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

..... the post arrived with a letter confirming that our appeal will be held on 15th July.
Good - it could easily have been September!
Last day of term is the 19th, how long would I have to wait for a decision?
According to the Code, the letter is "to be sent by the clerk as soon as possible after the panel has made its decision, ideally within five working days, although this may not always be possible where there are multiple appeals for one school". I note that the wording here is "working days" whereas the timetable refers to "school days", so I assume that only weekends and bank holidays would count as non-working days.

The word "ideally" gives them some wriggle room, but I doubt that there will be many appeals for year 8, so I would have thought it more likely than not that you will hear within a week.
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi Hellybeds! Our appeal was held mid July 2010 and we were advised 3 days later of the outcome, so fingers crossed they won't keep you hanging on too long!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Thank you so much both of you.

I really am at the end of a very long journey with very little energy left in me, the slightes thing and I want to cry.

To explain a little, although we are over the moon with DD being offered a place at a grammar school, I have no means of getting her there as it is too far away and I have lost my license due to epilepsy and a heart condition.

We have a direct school bus which travels straight past our house door to door, but have been told there are currently no places available.

The school we are appeal to is oversubscibed, but at the end of my road.

Can you see my frustration and anxiety?

I just want our lives back and more importantly that of my 12 year old DD.

Sorry, depression over.