11+ Tests, Apply & Results. Have I got this right?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SingleDad

11+ Tests, Apply & Results. Have I got this right?

Post by SingleDad »

Hi

I'm going through this for the first time, with my daughter looking at September 2012 entry into a Bucks Grammar, hence the basic question!

The way I've understood the sequence to work is as follows:

> Sit exams
> Appy for schools
> Get results

Shouldn't the sequence be:

> Sit exams
> Get results
> Apply for schools

Thereby, people would only apply for the schools that they have a chance of getting into, and not waisting some of their 6 choices on a school that a child had no chance of getting into.

Or have I misunderstood something? :(
andyb

Re: 11+ Tests, Apply & Results. Have I got this right?

Post by andyb »

Your right SingleDad it does seems illogical, but that's the way it is - you apply for schools but don't actually know if you qualify until a month later! I guess it doesn't create too much work for BCC or a system of applying after the results would be implemented. If you don't reach the magic number then grammar school(s) on the caf are just ignored and does having one or two less upper schools on the list make that much difference (I would be hard pressed to list 3 upper schools)? If you don't expect to qualify there is always the option to either a) not sit the tests at all and fill the caf with upper schools or b) sit the tests but only list upper schools on the caf.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think it used to be that way, years ago, but for some reason they changed it - to give BCC more time presumably.
scary mum
andyb

Post by andyb »

When I took the Bucks 12+ a "while" ago :wink: my parents just had to name grammar schools in preference order, no secondary moderns were put on the list at all - I can't remember whether this was before or after the tests. The results then came out in about May just with the name of the school you had been allocated, no VR score. If you qualified you got (hopefully) your 1st choice grammar and if you didn't you were given the local secondary modern. Simples 8)
drummer

Post by drummer »

It isn't a problem. You get 6 choices on your CAF (other areas only get 3 or 4) and you put the schools down in your genuine order of preference. If your child doesn't qualify for grammar school then any grammar schools will be ignored.

On the last paper CAF I filled in (though I couldn't find it on the online version) you could also tick a box to say something along the lines of: "if my child qualifies for grammar school but all the grammar schools I have chosen are over-subscribed then please ignore my upper school choices and place them in any grammar school"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now