11+ exam format Langley GS & Kendrick Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

borax

11+ exam format Langley GS & Kendrick Reading

Post by borax »

Please can anybody tell me if the 11+ is done in short sections of eg 12 mins per section, or whether you get the total time for the whole paper however you like to do it? This would be for VR and non-VR at Tiffin (multiple choice), Kendrick (standard format) or Langley Grammar (multiple choice)? Will it be okay to leave unsure answers until the end if there's time, then to go back and answer them, or is it done in timed sections so you can't go back as there'll no ways be enough time at the end and it's best to just give your best guess as you go along?

Am trying to give dd some preparation myself, but not sure of the basic exam layout! I suppose all the tutors would know this kind of detail, but I hope somebody on this forum can give me some idea....

Also, in multiple choice ie Langley and Tiffin, can you rub out and redo answer (ie important not to CROSS OUT and redo)? What about in standard format, ie Kendrick, can you rub out and redo answer? Any help appreciated,
Many thanks
borax

nb also posting under Surrey for Tiffin
Complete Novice

Re: 11+ exam format Langley GS & Kendrick Reading

Post by Complete Novice »

Kendrick VR is standard format (100 questions in either 45 or 50mins, can't remember which) and you are NOT allowed a rubber. You have to just cross out your answer and try to make your new answer as clear as possible. For NVR, the paper was in timed sections, I think DD said there were sections of 18 questions in 9 mins but not all could have been 18 as the total number of questions was 75. You are not able to go back to a section once it has been completed.

I don't have first hand experience of Tiffin but I am sure I have read on here that the NVR exam is not split up into timed sections which makes it a bit easier if your child is super fast at some and a bit slower at others. I haven't heard of anywhere other than Kendrick not allowing a rubber but I'm sure someone with specific experience of Langley and Tiffin will be able to confirm.

Best of luck!
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry....can't help with the Slough Consortium exam......My son took it almost 5 years ago so it may have changed..... then it was as per the NFER multiple choice practice papers....no time limits on each section.
Hopefully somone who has knowledge of a more recent exam can offer further insights.
chad

Post by chad »

Ok.... this was on the Herschel website... so should cover the consortium exam.

The test consists of a Non Verbal Reasoning (80 question) paper, 50 minutes in length divided into four sections - each preceded by a short practice test and a Verbal Reasoning paper lasting 50 minutes (80 questions).

So it looks as if the NVR is done in sections (as there is a practice before each section) but the VR is done as a whole. HTH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now