Moving to TW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LopezLopez

Moving to TW

Post by LopezLopez »

Hi everyone. We want to move to TW this summer. We've already missed the boat for school applications and from what Kent council have told me, the only schools with places are the really bad ones. We want our children (4 and 7) to go to a school somewhere within walking distance so we are thinking that we'll put our children in the waiting lists for the decent state schools and perhaps put them in a private school in the meantime (as we cannot afford to put 2 children through private school). Could anyone give me any feedback on The Mead please?

I specifically would like to know:

- How is it regarded from an academic point of view?
- Do they prepare for Grammar or a different path? If aimed towards the grammars, is the education well rounded or is it very channelled into just passing the exams?
- Is it good value for money?
- Is it a happy nurturing school?
- I understand it is not selective, but do they stream?

We're not familiar with the area at all so any advice at all would be much appreciated. Also, it looks like we'll be renting initially as we have not been able to find a decent house within catchment of a decent school. Again, any local knowledge about what the best roads are for St Johns, St Marks and St James would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Just1-2go

Re: Moving to TW

Post by Just1-2go »

Claremont and Bishops Down are lovely primaries as well and possibly with nicer surrounding roads than some of those you mentioned, although I'm assuming you have visited them?
With catchments, the nearer the better! It is also worth knowing that if you get one child in, the other automatically jumps nearer the top of the waiting list as sibling comes before distance.

Also keep in mind that, if you have girls and you have TWGGs in mind for them, its catchment area has gone as low as 1.6 miles in recent years.
amber3

Re: Moving to TW

Post by amber3 »

We almost ended up at the Mead. A few years ago they had this funny rule about children not wearing shoes indoors, so that all the children would walk round in just their socks. I'm not sure this would comply with Health and Safety now because of the possibility of slip and trip.
I think unless you get on with the head (Angela) who owns the school, you might be well advised to find a good state primary school. If it is grammars that your after, most state primaries are well placed to get usually a majority of their year sixes into their desired school, with only a couple of casualties per year.
meadschool

themeadschool

Post by meadschool »

Hello from The Mead!

We would like to respond that children are in fact allowed to wear shoes indoors during school hours. We are a happy, nurturing school whose aim is to bring out the best in each child. We actively support school applications to all schools, whether Grammar, Independent or Senior, and every year are incredibly proud of our 11+, academic, sporting and Scholarship successes.

It is worth noting that catchment areas are based on your permanent home address in relation to your target school, and not the address of the Independent Prep School your child attends.

Please do feel free to contact us at any point, either by person, phone or internet, and we would be happy to talk further about our educational philosophy, ethos and any other concern you may have.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now