YEAR 5 QCA TESTS - WHAT DO THE RESULTS MEAN????

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lara228

YEAR 5 QCA TESTS - WHAT DO THE RESULTS MEAN????

Post by lara228 »

Can someone shed some light on Year 5 QCA tests and what they actually mean?

My DS sat Maths, English and Reading and the results were above national expectations, HOWEVER, I feel that the national average must be pretty low - otherwise we would all be happy with our nearest local school and not need this website!! How are the results structured? What is the top mark?

Thanks
andyb

Re: YEAR 5 QCA TESTS - WHAT DO THE RESULTS MEAN????

Post by andyb »

lara228 wrote:My DS sat Maths, English and Reading and the results were above national expectations, HOWEVER, I feel that the national average must be pretty low
I don't know how the scores are worked out but I think the national expectation is very low :shock: . Part of the government initiative to ensure educational targets are reached? Our experience suggests that the standard is so low that a reasonably bright 9-year-old can comfortably exceed national expectations for 11-year-olds.
katel

Post by katel »

Don't understand your point.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Our Y5 teacher did say recently that the Y5 Optional SATs papers are particularly easy which doesn't help the Y6 teacher if they 'arrive' already on a 5c as this isn't a 5c according to APP or how they are assessed in Y6.

What sublevel did your son get at the end of Y5?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

they are not particularly easy...

remember we are talking about a whole population, don't fall into the trap of everyone will be "average or above"

google QCA level descriptors, that will give you an idea of what each level means. Remember it is best overall fit

also the tests are a snap portrait if 40 mins ( ish) on a particular day, the writing test may have been a genre that teh child was particularly good at ( or not) and can throw up higher or lower scores than continuous assessment. That is why teacher assessment, formal tests and APP should all be taken into account,
Manana

Post by Manana »

I meant to add-what was reported-the Optional SATs mark or the teacher assessment? They may well not be the same.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Thanks for the replies. I have 'googled' QCA results but am not really any the wiser. My year 5 DS took tests in Maths, English and Reading and got scored 5c in all. I understand that 5 is considered the national expection for KS3 age group, but what does the letter mean? Is 5c higher or lower than 5a?

Thanks
katel

Post by katel »

5c is lower than 5a.

National expectation for a year 6 child is 4b.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The percentages of pupils achieving Level 5 in the 2010 Key Stage 2 tests by subject are as follows:

English 33% (40% for girls, 26% for boys)
Reading 51% (56% for girls, 46% for boys)
Writing 21% (26% for girls, 15% for boys)
Mathematics 35% (32% for girls, 37% for boys).

Obviously, the percentage obtaining a level 5 in year 5 will be smaller.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

mitasol wrote:The percentages of pupils achieving Level 5 in the 2010 Key Stage 2 tests by subject are as follows:

English 33% (40% for girls, 26% for boys)
Reading 51% (56% for girls, 46% for boys)
Writing 21% (26% for girls, 15% for boys)
Mathematics 35% (32% for girls, 37% for boys).

Obviously, the percentage obtaining a level 5 in year 5 will be smaller.
Well - I never knew that. If over half the children are getting a level 5 in reading does that mean that the levels should be reassessed - or that schools are vastly underacheiving in other areas or that it's all a silly waste of time?

A bit of all three probably. :(