11+ versus entry exam.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

juliette

11+ versus entry exam.....

Post by juliette »

Just curious really,but i have been reading lots on the boards about the 11+ exams the children have to do,when they apply for the Grammar school places. The parents seem to know the results. My son passed an entrance exam to go to a selective' paying' school...There are no Grammar schools in Coventry. I assume that these Grammar schools are non-paying? The school will not let me know the results for some reason,which i think is stupid...But there you go. my son sat exams in English,maths,VR/NVR. I have asked the school but all they say is that they are under no obligation to tell parents,and that my son did very well.
Are the pass marks more or less the equivalent to the Grammar school? I would be grateful for any feedback............Just like to add,what a great bunch you lot are.....I'll be in the rehab soon,LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Wow Juliette!

Your son did "very well", and you still think you belong in Rehab? Not that you aren't very welcome indeed. :lol:

I don't think the school is under any obligation to tell you the marks. Once he is at the school you may find a teacher who is willing to discreetly give you the information.

GS results in Bucks are administered by the LEA, and there would be a huge hoo-hah if they didn't disclose the information, I am sure. It is very difficult to compare a GS with a private school unless you actually choose two specific schools - the quality of both varies so much.

See you in Rehab then?

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Juliette
As Sally-Anne said, it really depends on which schools you are talking about.

In any area, however, the state grammars (which are normally what we are talking about when we say 11+) tend to be harder to get into than the local private schools. Given the choice of a place at a FREE academically strong school or paying to go private most parents would take the grammar. For most, in fact, private fees probably wouldn't be an option.

It's all a question of supply and demand really. Most state grammars are oversubscribed, some by a factor of 10, and they do not have the same freedom as private schools to look at "the whole child" in deciding whom to admit. Many just take the highest performers in the exams. And in some areas the vast majority of candidates will have been heavily coached for these exams. This makes for very high entry hurdles.

Other grammars ( such as the majority of Kent grammars, although not all) merely require candidates to get a basic pass in a county-wide 11+ exam and then select on the basis of distance from home. Even here, however, children need to be in the top 23% (approx) to get the basic pass.

Private schools, by contrast, have to draw children from the smaller pool of parents who can afford the fees ( and are willing to pay!) or who qualify for financial assistance. Even in areas without grammar schools, therefore, admission tends to be easier. There are a few exceptions right at the top of the tree, but even these schools are reputedly easier to get into than the top grammars in the London area.
41juliette

Post by 41juliette »

Thankyou........For your sense of humour,Sally-Anne.
And thankyou for your obvious realism, guest. Sally-Anne,you are a credit to this forum.........Me and my going on!!!!!!! Thankyou all.
This whole selective school thing has given me a headache! BUT.....There must have been rich parents who's sons took the entrance exam and failed? Because you have a cheque book,surely doesn't make you bright? It is a selective school after all. I am poor.....We got a bursary,but it was up to us whether we paid the rest. There are probably more upper class children in my sons school than middle/working class...All i can say is God help them,because my baby is smart...... :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

round North Yorks / West Yorks it seems that the first choice school is the State Grammar and then if the child doesn't pass parents may look at the selective independents - many of which take large numbers of kids who didn't get a state grammar place.

Post by Guest »

41juliette wrote: I am poor.....We got a bursary,but it was up to us whether we paid the rest. There are probably more upper class children in my sons school than middle/working class...All i can say is God help them,because my baby is smart...... :wink:
I wouldn't start comparing other children unfavourably with your child before he has even started at the school. You might be in for a surprise. It is amazing how clever some rich kids are - mine for example has an IQ of 174.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Anonymous wrote:
41juliette wrote: I am poor.....We got a bursary,but it was up to us whether we paid the rest. There are probably more upper class children in my sons school than middle/working class...All i can say is God help them,because my baby is smart...... :wink:
I wouldn't start comparing other children unfavourably with your child before he has even started at the school. You might be in for a surprise. It is amazing how clever some rich kids are - mine for example has an IQ of 174.
Before war breaks out here, could I say to the most recent "Guest" that a number of us have seen Juliette's struggles on a bursary, and she is entitled to be proud of what her son has achieved. It is very difficult to fight for "financial assistance" of any sort, and even more so when you are fighting for your child, as it can feel like an admission of failure on the part of the parents. She is proud of her son's achievements, and also proud of the fact that she can manage to pay the reduced fees for the new school.

I am sure that she has no intention of belittling other people's children in the process.

Recent Guest, I am sure that your son will do well on his IQ of 174. I hope that Juliette's son does just as well.

See you both in Rehab, maybe? :wink:

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

It's funny how different people react to some comments isn't it?
The comment from Juliette about watch out because my baby is bright really brought a smile to my face. I think it is lovely to feel like that and to take a positive attitude to your child's new future. It can be a worry when your baby is moving on to secondary and mixing with kids from different backgrounds.
I am sure 'my son has an IQ of 179' or whatever it was is not typical of the parents you will be meeting at the new school, although there will be a few - we have them at the grammar, also ;)
Good luck to your son in his new adventure!
juliette

Post by juliette »

I didn't mean to offend anyone :? I live in Coventry and there are no Grammar schools. I think the nearest one is Stratford. I thought they had abolished all Grammar schools(i lead such a sheltered life) i really did. :oops: Until i came across this forum. In Coventry there are, i am sure ,two selective and quite a few non selective. This selective....Non-selective,Grammar lark......Its no wonder there is a rehab!! :lol: Best wishes to you allx ps Lets raise a glass to our children. :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Juliette
I didn't mean to offend anyone
Don't worry - people read things in diffrerent ways, as Guest has said. We moderators are always here with the sand bucket!

Best wishes
Sally-Anne