Birthrate for current year 5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chocolatey Mum

Birthrate for current year 5

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

"Does anyone have information on whether the current Year 5 (taking the 11 plus in 2011) is an average birthrate year, or above or below average? I am wondering if we put an out of county comprehensive on our form whether we have a chance of getting it if this is a high birthrate year. I read somewhere that the current Year 2 has a blip, with an increased number of children. Any information greatly appreciated."

I took this from the bucks forum but wondered if it is relevant to us in Kent?

Does anyone know where I can get information about the birthrate for 2000/2001. Particularly in Kent primary schools. ( I know the OOC will still be doing the Kent test but we are not looking for a super selective).

If the birth rate is lower would this mean that a borderline child had more chance of being selective.

Feeling pessimistic today; thus I am clutching at straws.

Anything which means my DC has an advantage has got to be good. :wink:
hermanmunster

Re: Birthrate for current year 5

Post by hermanmunster »

the birthrate may vary across the country but if it is higher (or lower) than before one year in one part the country then it is likely to be higher (or lower) than before in all other parts of the country.
wardie

Post by wardie »

There was also a 2% drop in the number of live births in 2001. The figure in 2000 was 604,000, last year it was 595,000.

I found this on the bbc site ( not techy enough to be able to hyper link :oops: )

This would mean that the overall birth rate in the whole country was down, so therefore, should mean that Kent maybe down too.

As I understand it the top 25% that are deemed selective, so it will have to depend on the number and ability of the children sitting the Kent test.

Not sure if that sounds reassuring or not. (I want it to sound reassuring)

What will be will be
JLT

Post by JLT »

Hi, I was always under the impression that current year 5 was a low birth rate year, which always surprised me given the whole millenium baby hype! :)
Manana

Post by Manana »

JLT wrote:Hi, I was always under the impression that current year 5 was a low birth rate year, which always surprised me given the whole millenium baby hype! :)
I suppose people aiming for a millenium baby (born on January 1st 2000 or therabouts) would be in Y6 now?
JLT

Post by JLT »

Teachermum76 wrote:
JLT wrote:Hi, I was always under the impression that current year 5 was a low birth rate year, which always surprised me given the whole millenium baby hype! :)
I suppose people aiming for a millenium baby (born on January 1st 2000 or therabouts) would be in Y6 now?
Yes - very true, just imagined there would also be a few who ended up with millenium babies a little later in the year than planned :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it was more media hype than actual babies!
swimmingmum

Post by swimmingmum »

Really needs to broken down in to girls and boys to help though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now