SGS English and VR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

esh

SGS English and VR

Post by esh »

Hope I have the right information - I have been advised that SGS would only mark the Maths paper if a child has done reasonably well in English and VR. Has anyone's DS got in to Sutton Grammar and what does it mean by reasonably well and it will be useful to know the total score he got for the 3 subjects. My Son is now level 5 in Maths and English and good in VR scoring a consistent 90%+. I am worried if he will make it as he is weaker in comprehension but enjoys creative writing. thanks
999 mum

Re: SGS English and VR

Post by 999 mum »

hi,

I asked the same question last year!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=16587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Admission Lady's answer definitely helped me.
esh

Post by esh »

thank you, but I am still confused.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'm not sure I understand either :oops: !

Does this mean that a DC has to get, say, 50% in both English multi-choice (is that comprehension?) and Verbal reasoning, before his English essay and maths papers will be marked?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Hi,

I can't give percentages or scores (SGS do not give them out for pupils who have passed).
admissionslady wrote:The modest combined score in the two multiple choice papers is very modest indeed - that is, even if the candidate scored full marks in the maths and English essay (which have to be hand marked), they still couldn't achieve a pass mark overall.
I read that as "Even if everything was marked he still wouldn't have got in" (or the waiting list).

What I can say though is for my DS, maths is his strongest subject, comprehension is his worst ( he can't understand inferences to save his life!). I don't know whether he did very well or scraped through as they don't give scores out.

And if you have any questions (that can't be answered by this forum) ask AdmissionsLady - she has always answered all of mine.
Last edited by 999 mum on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esh

Post by esh »

Thanks very much. It makes sense now. My DS is same. Maths is his strongest and Comprehension is his worst.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now