Art scoralships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Akiko

Art scoralships

Post by Akiko »

My Dd has a chance of winning an Art scolarship, according to her art teacher. I know that it involves a lot of work over the y5 to prepare a portfolio. What I fear is that, this will take valuable time off from preparing for the more important subjects like Maths and English. I wonder if an Art scolarship will give my Dd advantage in the selection process.
hermanmunster

Re: Art scoralships

Post by hermanmunster »

It depends where she wants to go, I know some kids who got art or drama scholarships - the drama from stuff outside school and the art from work they did in school. It did not affect the selection process for the schools they still had to pass the exams.
Most were for about 5-10% of the fees.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Most of the schools I looked at only give art and drama scholarships at 13+

Have you checked with the school if they have do have art scholarships at 11?

For general selection I doubt it will make much difference at all. They have to pass the test and while some schools do interview which is where your DD could show that she is arty I think this alone wouldn't give any significant advantage. Most of the other girls will probably be keen to show off other things they are good at too so I cannot see it being a huge advantage in the normal selection.

What you may do if your child is really arty is email the schools and perhaps tell them about your DD's art ability and offer to show them her portfolio. It may or may not work. I know of a parent with a child who was gifted in music and they simply did that and got a place but the boy was incredibly good and grade 7 on his main instrument.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sorry just noticed you are in London - sherry is probablt right that mostly it is over 13 round there.
Elsewhere can be 11+ but I find the higher the fees the more scholarships they give/

2 kids I knew got academic and art scholarships from a school (approx 10% of quite high fees) but opted to go elsewehere more academic schools where they also had places - were no worse of financially as a result.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Art scholarships are small and a bursary would generally not be offered to top it up. Does DD have other talents? Could she go up for an "All-rounder" award which would attract a greater fee reducation and potential bursary. Criteria is normally:

top 35% academically
strength in an art/music
very good at sport but not to county level which a sports scholarship would require

Again it depends on the school. I have spoken to three day schools that are very impressed with DS musicianship but have aid none of this matters if he does not get a certain mark in the exam. I have evidence of high IQ, and the fact he is in a non-academic prep and his choir schedule (which would stop at new school) has impacted his attainment, but they have not been interested in this.
bethany

Post by bethany »

City of London Girls offer an Art Scholarship at 11+ which is worth £1500 off annual fees. You can also apply for a bursary to top up and their bursary scheme is very generous, based on disposable income rather than just salary. However, your DD would still have to pass the entrance exam and be invited back for interivew too, so she'd still have to be prepared in English and Maths.

You could email admissions there for more info as she is incredibly friendly and helpful! Hope this is useful.
R3ad1ngDad

Post by R3ad1ngDad »

If you can cope with distance look at Wells Cathedral School
Akiko

Post by Akiko »

Maybe she can pass as all rounder. She is currently preparing for grade 4 in piano, hopefully to pass grade 5 by y6. Academically, she is in the top set in English and at the top of the second top set in Maths(hopefully will improve next term). Not very good at sport though, usually plays the B team. She really needs to work on her Maths to have a chance. End of year,s test passed with 80% due to silly, careless errors. Teacher is not worried, but I am.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS's school offer Art scholarships at 11+. I think it is about 5% off fees. They still have to pass the exam as previous posters have said.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Akiko wrote:Maybe she can pass as all rounder. She is currently preparing for grade 4 in piano, hopefully to pass grade 5 by y6. Academically, she is in the top set in English and at the top of the second top set in Maths(hopefully will improve next term). Not very good at sport though, usually plays the B team. She really needs to work on her Maths to have a chance. End of year,s test passed with 80% due to silly, careless errors. Teacher is not worried, but I am.
I think an all rounder is a definite then but if she plays another instrument then she is a very strong candidate for a music scholarship.