IGCSE English and English Literature

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest43

IGCSE English and English Literature

Post by guest43 »

My DD's school has finally lost patience with the GCSE and is switching to IGCSE for English and English Literature.

Anyone with any experience of this and how it differs from the GCSE?
KB

Re: IGCSE English and English Literature

Post by KB »

Ours did the same - DS has yet to start the course but have been told it is more traditional.
No course work & more emphasis on spelling and grammar were the main points I remember.

http://www.crgs.co.uk/academic/english" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gives you a summary & links to the detailed board info (if your school does the same options)
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Oh now I come to read it, it is the Edexcel IGCSE. I didn't know there was more than one. Shows my ignorance!
KB

Post by KB »

Don't know how the teachers keep up with all the changes, never mind the poor parents. I think the students gave up long ago.....
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

My daughter's school have changed over to the CIE IGCSE for their current Y10s (dd is Y9 so will start it in September). We just had an options information evening and the first pro of the IGCSE given by the head of English was that he didn't have to lose 20 hours of class time to controlled assessments :) He claimed that the IGCSE was more academic/rigorous. The CIE version also has a 10 minute oral exam which made dh and I giggle to each other as dd will have NO trouble with that, lol!
Tewks_Mom

Post by Tewks_Mom »

My ds has been told they will be harder but treated the same as GCSEs when it comes to University entry etc. Does anyone know if this is the case please?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

aliportico wrote: The CIE version also has a 10 minute oral exam which made dh and I giggle to each other as dd will have NO trouble with that, lol!
Give me coursework any day?

Surely it is a given that by the time we get to year 10 we can at least speak English ?? :shock:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Looking for help wrote:
aliportico wrote: The CIE version also has a 10 minute oral exam which made dh and I giggle to each other as dd will have NO trouble with that, lol!
Give me coursework any day !

Surely it is a given that by the time we get to year 10 we can at least speak English ?? :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now