TWGSB admissions letter sent in 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tigger2

TWGSB admissions letter sent in 2009

Post by tigger2 »

Understand that this is quite an odd question but at a recent group oversubscription appeal for TWGSB one parent referred to a letter sent to parents regarding the extra form that had been added due to successful appeals. It refers specifically about the schools ability to cope well with the extra form. I don't suppose anyone has a copy of that letter that they would be happy to email to me ..............I would be so very,very,very grateful ! Not that I'm desperate or anything :lol:

Thanks in advance
Tigger
xx
kentmum1

Re: TWGSB admissions letter sent in 2009

Post by kentmum1 »

Hi Tigger2

I'm not sure if that letter came from the appeals panel but there is absolutely no way the this school copes well with an extra form. It is something the school strongly hopes to avoid each year. It just about coped with it a few years ago but even then it really make for a more stressful environment for students and staff. I really don't mean this to sound negative or unkind but it is not fair on the 180 who have successfully gained a place to then have to cope with cramped and sometimes dangerous conditions because of this. I think it is more than fair for the school to take a few extra on appeal on whatever merit they decide but definitely not fair to expect a whole form. Parents must think hard about pushing this sort of thing on to a school as it will affect their son too! Anyway, I'm really not wishing to sound harsh but it is just the reality of a difficult situation. I just wish there was an easy solution to all this but all the schools need to take their fair share of the appeals.
Stressedoutbigtime

Post by Stressedoutbigtime »

Hi
I would like to add that my ds got in on oversubscription in 2009 Twgsb is our nearest grammar school & he was allocated folkstone as were lots of others that year, I understand that it is not ideal for a school to have to add another class but we live in a selective area therefore selective children should be able to go to a selective school, the problem lies with the lack of grammar school places in west Kent & not with the children & their families vying for such few places with no suitable high schools in the area they have no choice..i think no one can blame parents for trying to do the best for their children, I understand this couldnt possibly happen every year but these children have to go somewhere & why should they be sent miles & miles away or to a local high school where their academic needs may not be met. I would also like to add that the extra class hasn't had a detrimental effect on my ds & he is doing exceptionally well academically & emotionally :D
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi and thanks to both of you for your views on this...I was pm'd and given advice regarding this letter and I understand both views raised. The letter (it was a newsletter I think) was sent out when the extra form was added and was to reassure parents that the school felt confident with the addition of the extra form. I asked this question as it arose at the recent oversubscription appeal and I was interested enough to want to see a copy....
Kentmum1, I understand the points that you raise .Twgsb is our nearest and is clearly under pressure but what do you say to the parents of local children who desperately want a gs place and are clearly able to cope with a gs education but for one reason or another have been unable to get in on the first allocation? West Kent is under huge pressure and something has to change but I have to be selfish because I strongly believe that not only will my child fail to thrive or reach his potential in a non selective but it may be damaging and have to keep trying for a gs place. Just because my child has not been given a place on first allocation does not mean that he is any the less deserving of a place. I have only recently realised just how much the situation in West Kent fluctuates from March until September so you cannot close the door at 180 (I know you were not suggesting that) and equally you cannot set the number of appeals that can be allowed to succeed.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Hi again

I totally understand your situation. It is not selfish - you have to try everything you can for your child - I would in the same situation. It is a horrible position to be in. I think the problem lies in that although we live in a selective area, the whole point of the 11+ is simply to determine whether our children are deemed suitable to apply for a selective education or not but doesn't guarantee a place. That is only the first part of a difficult hurdle and I think a misconception to some out there who think that there should be a guaranteed grammar place for every child who passes. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Passing the 11+ simply gives us extra choice when filling in the CAF. However, there has to be other criteria met, particularly with distance, and unfortunately, there has to be cut-off points somewhere. However, it may be that your son didn't pass for whatever reason and you may live only a stone's throw from the school, which must be very frustrating, especially if he is now going to have to travel some distance.

To the other parent who said that her son hadn't experienced a problem. The comments have come more from the staff, who do notice a big difference in having an extra form. It's very hard to bring in the additional staff needed at such short notice and this is not ideal for the boys not to have the best quality, if staff are recruited on an emergency basis. As I said, it is ok every now and then but would be a disaster for everyone if it happened too often. It would be ideal if all the grammar schools could share this problem and take on an extra form themselves every now and then but somehow the other schools seem to get away with it!