Getting ready for this year's tests...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
starmum2000

Getting ready for this year's tests...

Post by starmum2000 »

Hi all, having 'lurked' here since last September when my DS entered year 5, I've decided its time to come out of hiding! We have been working steadily towards the tests, doing Ok I think.
We are Bexley residents & DS will be taking the Bexley & Kent tests. Until year 5 I have been incredibly laid back about Secondary selection, I firmly believe DS will do well wherever he goes as he has the right attitude, abilities & temperament. However... we recently visited Wilmington Grammar & loved it. Although we haven't seen any others yet, it really made me feel that Grammar School will be the right place for him. Unfortunately, I know chances are not great, even if he passes we live in the North of the borough so are not very near any Grammar schools. I don't want to give him false hope so am sticking with the attitude if you get in, you get in, if you don't there are other great schools that you will thrive in.
Anyway, any other Bexley residents at the same stage, looking forward to October half term when it will all be over & forms handed in???
Starmum x
blessedmum

Re: Getting ready for this year's tests...

Post by blessedmum »

Dont worry starmum2000 as long as you live in Bexley borough and pay your council tax to Bexley council, if your ds passes the Bexley tests, he will get a place in one of the Bexley grammars. Its a different thing with the Kent test as you will be considered out of borough but there are a few grammars within Bexley that you may like once you have visited them. We are lucky in Bexley as most if not all the grammars schools have a good reputation; you have Beths, Chis and Sid and Bexley grammar. I believe they all go as far as 5-7miles if not more which definitely gives you a chance.

Good luck. :wink:
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, we get no favours for living in the Borough & paying taxes! They all go on distance and not nearly so far out as that - Bexley Grammar & Chis & Sid haven't offered places as far as where we live for several years, but BETHS have.
Its just frustrating that we could get a pass and still no place - we are in the same situation as the OOB really, need top 180 to gaurantee a place!
We will do our best and wait and see.
Starmum x
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Starmum - you're right about Chis and Sids and Bexley Grammar - they don't offer places as far out as the very north of the borough. But you should be in with a good chance at Beths. We live fairly north and one of my sons has several friends at Beths who live just about as far north as you can get. Good luck!
dani*

Post by dani* »

Would not give up on Chis & Sid though. According to the brochure we were given the school went out 5.9 miles last year, would be interesting to see what the distance is this year.

Also I believe some children come from further away than the published distance. If I remember correctly the published distance only includes first preferences and does not include the places awarded after some applicants reject their places (mostly those who have also applied for Indies.)

I know of some children who did not get their first choice Chis & Sid at the time the initial offers were made and got another GS. However, they were contacted by Bexley council shortly after that to be told that a place had come up at their first choice and did they want to take it.

Good luck, hope all works out for you.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Yes i will be surprised if Chis and Sid did not go far as there's so many children coming into sidcup on the train every morning. Standing on the other side of the platform, platform two is always filled with chis and sid kids in the morning and you if you leave Sidcup early enough you see kids getting on from as far as Lee and Hither Green.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Bexley considers distance by road, etc... not as the crow flies. I think that this is why there are so many Chis & Sid uniforms at the station in the morning. If my understanding is correct the trainline is considered on a par with the distance by road. Therefore is you live in HG you may live closer to the school according to the criteria set out by the council compared to someone who lives in N. Bexley based on the shortest route available by road.