CRGS new boys' parents evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
withmum

CRGS new boys' parents evening

Post by withmum »

I felt I had to write something about the wonderful new parents' evening at CRGS on Wednesday. One of the things we really liked about the school when we attended the open day was the Headmaster and his talk on Wednesday night almost made me cry. It is very very frightening to think of your small DS going off to secondary school and on a bus by themselves:shock: but after this week I feel so much more comfortable about it.

The whole evening was "well done" in a terribly old english way but for me the most wonderful thing was the handful of year 7 boys who entertained us. The music was great (I loved the American Pie boy) but best of all was the way they talked to new parents and the easy, friendly but open way they interacted with the staff who were there; there is obviously a very good bond between boys and teachers. The boys I talked to were all polite and quietly confident. I cannot imagine my DS being able to conduct himself so well, in what must be a daunting social setting with adults, in just a year's time.

It has been a long journey getting here, we visited many schools and it was tough deciding which one to put first but after Wednesday any lingering doubts have been put to bed and I am so so thrilled that my son is going to be part of something so special and I cannot wait to go back for more of the many social activities they seem to have to bring the parents into the school.

If you are a parent of one of this year's year 7 you must be sooooo proud, it is a shame you couldn't see how well they did.
Moonlight

Re: CRGS new boys' parents evening

Post by Moonlight »

You have written some lovely comments about what really is a wonderful school. My DS is just finishing his first year at CRGS and I am so proud of all that he has achieved. It is a very special school and, a year on, I still can't believe how lucky we are to be part of such a wondeful learning environment. We have attended a few different functions at the school and the staff and pupils make you feel very welcome. The very first time we visited the school, we noticed how polite everyone was, from Year 7 up to Sixth Form as well as the staff and headmaster. When we had our parents' evening last year, I remember Mr Jenkinson telling us that our sons join as boys and leave as men. A year on and I can already see how much my son has developed. One event definitely not to be missed is the Carol Service at Christmas. The choir was amazing and I found it quite emotional listening to such wonderful singing. I hope your son is very happy at this school.
dutchy005

Post by dutchy005 »

I can verify everything Moonlight says. My son is at the end of year 7 and has had a wonderful year. There is definitely something very special about this school and the young people who go there.

Its the little pieces of magic that matter, for example:

1. they don't lock things in their lockers because they don't need to because nothing gets taken;

2. on the same theme, nothing goes missing for very long and always comes back even if they have to look in lost property for it;

3. arriving to pick my DS late one night after a club and finding him on Creffield Road in the pouring rain with a 6th form girl patiently holding an umbrella over his head;

4. after complaining to his friend in the lunch queue that he had taken the last of my DS's favourite yoghurt someone in front passed one back to him and took something else;

5. on the first Friday of his first term missing his bus because they had rugby and he'd got lost and a 6th former who was walking home in the opposite direction stopped, walked to the bus stop with him, waited while he called me and stayed until my DS got on another (non-school) bus;

6. hearing the choir singing African Sanctus;

7. attending about half of the many wonderful social events that are held and always having a lovely time.

Our DS is so happy and we have all had a lot of fun. Well done, congratulations on getting a place, you have many happy times ahead.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I remember feeling the same way when I attended last year. The Y7 boys and sixth formers who spoke were so confident, polite and generally affable that I came away thinking "I want one of those". Hopefully that's what I'm getting! I thank my lucky stars that DS gets to go there every day.
scattymum

Post by scattymum »

My elder DS is a pupil so I heartily endorse all your comments; it's a wonderful school. I'm wondering, for those still on this year's waiting list (my younger DS!) is anyone aware whether there were any no-shows on the evening? Could there still be anyone out there hanging on to a place that they won't be taking up? I remember that last year there was a little movement at this stage ie some of the names on the list we were given in the welcome pack didn't end up at the school when term started in September. Any glimmers of hope gratefully received... :wink:
doods

Post by doods »

My son is joining 7R - one boy's parents did not attend the induction - so there may still be some movement - Good Luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now