Once your child is consistently hitting 80%-90%......

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Once your child is consistently hitting 80%-90%......

Post by katel »

.....in practice papers, why don't you stop?
Looking for help

Re: Once your child is consistently hitting 80%-90%......

Post by Looking for help »

.....because there's no guarantee that's enough. Certainly wasn't in our case :shock:
katel

Post by katel »

Sorry. :oops:

Will rephrase.

If you're not aiming for a superselective, once your child......etc etc
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

katel wrote:Sorry. :oops:
Oh don't be....we're all ok now :D I was just saying that you can't always be confident of a good outcome with these things.
vasu

Post by vasu »

1.Work on the timing. With every paper lessen the total time by 1 minute. Rechecking can do wonders. But most children never check.
2.Look for consistency in mistakes. My ds can do fractions to decimal in a jiffy but decimals to fraction is a chore. He makes mistakes when he does those problems in haste.
3.Pep talks boosts their morale. Pats in the back are like elixir for the children. They are just ten and giving the most difficult exam of their life, we can be a bit supporting to our little troopers.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

vasu wrote:They are just ten and giving the most difficult exam of their life, we can be a bit supporting to our little troopers.
Mine's still only 9 :( !

Great advice! Thank you.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Can't remember a time when DD wasn't consistently over the 90% mark. She took a VR practice paper the night before the 11 plus and scored 100%.

She is starting at the local Comp in September.

If this happens to you then you'll want to know that there wasn't anything more you could have done.

Also - any skill needs practising or it goes rusty. And there's always a chance that the paper will be harder than usual (cough ... Essex Comprehension 2010 ... cough) so it's best to be as far ahead of the game as possible.
katel

Post by katel »

That must have been so disappointing for you, push-pull mum. But it wouldn't ahve made any difference to her performance on the day if you had stopped practicing when she was hitting 90% would it?

And you wouldn't have spent all that time practicing when you could have been doing something else.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There isn't a one size fits all...so it's pointless to analyse the amount of 11 plus prep people do or don't do. When my children are gibbering in a corner I'll send them over to you for therapy, Katel.
katel

Post by katel »

I just can;t see the point in practising beyond 80-90%. And I even think it might be counter productive. And I was just wondering why people keep going once the plateau has been reached All the research shows that practice can only improve performance up to a point - the plateau. So why not stop there?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now