what next please?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum23*

what next please?

Post by mum23* »

Hi
We have done 10 ips papers and AFN 1-8. Scoring 99-100 with time spare on these so what would be a good challenge next please? I have some Walsh books books 1,2 and 3 but can't remember what sort of level of difficulty these are. The other set I have is the giraffe one (from 3 years ago) I think these have been updated so is it a good idea to buy again or is the new set similar? We are in Gloucestershire so only do VR. I have never tried the online papers so would like some tips on which might be suitable. Thanks.
vasu

Re: what next please?

Post by vasu »

Susan Daugherty practice papers perhaps. By the way well done to your child for excellent scores.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear mum23*

AFN are relatively easy papers, but still very good scores. As the test is pen and paper on line vocabulary games are probably more useful than tests.

Take a look at the following thread second post for relevant papers.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks Patricia
I have never used tutors or learning lab. Are these the ones you download from this site and which level shoud I go for please? I did think the AFN were fairly easy especially the maths Qs but has been good for boosting confidence. It's 3rd time for me and I am more nervous this time than ever. Just want to help as much as poss because I DIY so really feel the responsibility. I have your helpful vocab and compound word lists thanks and we play the games from YoYos links. I am sticking to about 1 - 2 hours per week.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

mum23, if it's any help, we did the Tutors level 3 full length papers next, then the Bright Sparks ones, and then Walsh, and saved the 'Official' Nfer/Letts papers till last.

Tutors are definitely easier than the other two. We also did some Tutors short Level 4 papers near the end but they are really hard and DD never got near full marks.

Sounds like it's all going well. Good luck.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks for that. I will try those next.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Brilliant scores. Well done to your child. Definitely sounds like you could do with a more challenging set of papers next.

We've been using Bond papers because we were told (can't remember who by) that they're the best match for super-selectives and will be used by the tutor when my son starts with her in January. But I've noticed lots of people are using other papers and it makes me wonder if using a variety is a better idea.

I'd love some recommendations for papers, as I only know the Bond ones. (Hope this question is relevant enough to this thread to post here rather than start a new one.)
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Menagerie

I have DIYed twice and both DDs passed for grammar (seem to need more advice 3rd time round than less!) I used a mixture of VR papers IPS (30 min) AFN, Walsh and NFER/GL. I just went to a book shop and tried different papers. Since my DDs took the test I have forgotten which were easier/harder hence needing some tips again. I think the quick 10 question daily tests were quite good too. I am going to try some of the on line material this time round and I would recommend some of the games (search the maths section for maths games, the x table ones are good). The very best advice comes from checking your own county for best tips on the papers set in your area so you can focus on what counts. Thanks for the nice comment, my DS seems to be ok at VR maybe he has accidently picked it up from me DIYing the other two.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Menagerie

Bond are of little use for areas using GL Assessment multiple choice. GL cover 21 types, Bond cover 50 types of which 4 are missing from the 21.

Which area/school are you applying for? Who is the test provider? Is it standard or multiple choice?

Patricia
Clapham mum

Post by Clapham mum »

Can anyone tell me if the Bond verbal reasoning tests are relevant to the Sutton grammars?