AGS Induction Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

logic32

AGS Induction Day

Post by logic32 »

Bit of a daft question, but my DS has his induction day at AGS tomorrow ( he's very excited and scared ) and I'm not sure where we are supposed to drop him off. Are you allowed to drive through the driveway in front of the school and chuck him out of the car ? or is it best to park in the well known supermarket carpark and walk across. Just don't want to embarass him too much.

And while I'm on the subject of induction days, His primary school have allocated 2 days in July for everyone to go to Tring School for the day. Obviously he will not be going and has been told he can 'help out' in other classes for those two days. I want to keep him off and take him somewhere nice both days but my husband says it won't look too good on his attendance record. What is everyone else doing ?
petlover

Re: AGS Induction Day

Post by petlover »

When I took my DD to induction day at AHS next door to AGS, we parked in Tesco car park, as it's only a 5 minute walk from there. I walked with her to the main entrance. I know others who come from the Tring area to AGS and AHS.
Good luck, I'm sure he'll have a good day.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Yes - I did the same as petlover for my DD when she had her induction day and parked at Tesco - only problem was she was so excited (and nervous) that she tripped over and cut her knee and hand badly - so I had to go into the school and find the nurse!

Your DS will find it iit useful to know where Tesco is (if he doesn't know already), as they all end up going there in the morning before school to buy provisions. Am sure he will have a fab day.
many thanks
dejavu
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks for your replies, we did indeed park at T's as did everyone else by the look of it !

My son thoroughly enjoyed his day but was very disappointed that of the 12 boys he knows ( 10 vaguely and 2 reasonably well ) none were put in the same house as him. We were using the laws of probability to encourage him that at least on might be in his house!

I wondered if anyone can tell me how much difference this makes. eg; do they have lunch and break at different times, any classes that are mixed house ? etc. I'm sure that he'll makes friends okay but I'm just trying to put a positive spin on things for him as it would just have made things a little easier for him in september if he was in classes with one person he knew.

Also in year 8 when the some of the subject are streamed do all the different houses mix classes ?

It'll all be fine I'm sure but just would like to cheer him up a bit !

Many thanks
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Don't worry - they make it a point that the boys are in houses with people they don't know - to encourage them to make friends with people they don't know - in my son's case - he is still really friends with the person he met on his induction day (and he is in year 11 now!!!). Lunch and break times are all the same. In year 7 they are mixed in "games" and in year 8 they are mixed in their 3rd language (English, French and third option) - but not sure if this is changing, but because maths is streamed in year 8 - he will be with other boys not from his house.

Is there any way that your DS got tel nos of people he saw today (or facebook/email) so that he could meet up in the summer hols???

My DS didn't when he started (no facebook then....) - but both boys remembered each other from induction day (as they had sat next to each other) - and struck up a real friendship. He will be fine!!! Try to stop stressing. The only main problem was that his friend lived the other side of Bucks from us!!!
many thanks
dejavu
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks for your reply dejavu. He said he met a nice boy today so hopefully that's a start of a good friendship !

I wasn't stressing so much as feeling a bit guilty. He's had four best friends since nursery and they are very close. They are all going to the local comp, whereas we've chosen to send him to a grammar in another county. He's feeling bad about this even though I've explained that the same different house scenario would probably have happened if he'd gone to the same school as them.

As he's out of county he won't be on the school bus so wouldn't see any of the 12 then either. Added to that he somehow got the impression today that lunches were at different times so he's mightily relieved to find out that's not the case.

He's a lovely friendly boy ( I think we're related but I'm not certain!) and as you say he will be absolutely fine. All I meant that it would have been much less nerveracking in September if there was one familar face in his class. But a couple of weeks into the new term, it won't make a blind bit of difference !!!!
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

How is he getting to school then? Is there any way that you could share lifts - and share with someone he knows?

Having said that - he will find his own peer group and be fine!!! If there is a prob, the school is very quick to respond
many thanks
dejavu
logic32

Post by logic32 »

He will be catching the public bus service, so you never know there may be other boys going to AGS on it.

It's good to hear that the school respond quickly if there is a problem, and more than likely there won't be one !

We will just be very positive about the situation and hope he cheers up a bit soon.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Does anyone know if there is any point in ringing AGS to ask about moving houses ?

My DS is now saying he wants to go to Tring School with his friends !!!

My husband's reply to him is stop being stupid ( he's known for his sympathetic nature !).

Mine is don't worry it'll be fine.

And DS just so down.

Just want to make sure I've done all that I can but I imagine the school gets fed up with requests like this from parents.

Failing that can anyone tell me something that might cheer him up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (please?)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

he will be fine - DS went to a school where he knew no one, they really are OK within days.

Wouldn't say a word to the school about changing houses - I reckon only likely to be done if they find that 2 lads have previously caused each other GBH .
What I would wonder is if it is worth trying to make contact with the lad he met ? If they are lilke minded they might enjoy meeting again before the term starts. Maybe the school would pass on a message from you to the family of the lad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now